• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New tube amp diy kit required power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all
I've just started looking into diy stuff. Currently building the tritrix mtm speaker kit ( TriTrix MTM TL Speaker Kit Components Only Pair 300-700)

I also want to try a tube amp kit because i want to learn more about electronics and tubes but would this kit http://www.siliconray.com/kits/auido-video/low-price-6p3p-single-ended-tube-amplifier-kit.html  be able to power the speakers? the speakers are 8 ohms and the amp supposedly puts out 6w per channel. will I get much volume out of this? its for a medium sized living room.
Thanks all and thank you for any suggestions.

Lets have a look at the specs. The woofers are stated as having 91.8 dB sound pressure level (with 1 watt). Two in the cabinet increases efficiency by 3 dB to approx 95 dB. That is reasonably efficient, however the tweeter is stated as having an efficiency of 89 dB/Mtr. From that I would guess that to design for a reasonably flat response, the crossover would bring the woofers down to a similar sound pressure level. Now to get 3 dB increase in sound pressure level, you double amplifier power. So for 1 watt - 89 dB, 2 watts - 92 dB, 4 watts - 95 dB, 8 watts - 98 dB, 16 watts - 101 dB, 32 watts - 104 dB.

As you see, the exponential relationship of sound pressure to power eats amp power for low efficiency speakers. My first tube amp was a Tubelab simpleSE with about 8 Watts output. My speakers are about 91 dB and I think that 8 watts was about the minimum power I would want. If you are happy with modest listening levels and don't listen to orchestral or loud rock music, it might be ok. If you want high volume levels with music with high dynamic range, you will probably need more power. However, the kit for the amp looks cheap, so it might be worth building it to see if you like it then use it for an amp in the bedroom or office if you subsequently build a higher power amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.