diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Simple SE GU-50 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/212588-simple-se-gu-50-a.html)

Einric 13th May 2012 02:29 PM

Simple SE GU-50
 
I am looking at a Tubelab Simple SE.
What I am wondering is if the GU-50 would be a good pentode to choose?
I understand that I would have to wire up the special socket (no biggie).
What I am more concerned about is whether or not the rest of the build would be pretty straight forward like any other pentode?
Also I'd be looking at just Class A mode and am wondering how much power I could expect....Triode? UL? Pentode?....at least 10W??
I know these questions have quite a few answers and I am looking at my first tube power amp.
I have built my tube preamp already, the build went relatively well and I am very happy with the end result.
This PCB looks like a nice "Simple" layout that would be easy to understand.
I think it is a good point to start into my tube amp listening.

Wavebourn 13th May 2012 06:46 PM

Next month I will be in Florida, may be I can meet George there and give him one Gu-50 with socket, for experiments.

tricomp 13th May 2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavebourn (Post 3022065)
Next month I will be in Florida, may be I can meet George there and give him one Gu-50 with socket, for experiments.

When will you be in Denmark? ;)

BTW, thanks for your forum-inputs.
I read them with great interest.

rgds,

/tri-comp

Wavebourn 13th May 2012 07:56 PM

I have no plans about Denmark yet, but for beginners I would not recommend Gu-50 in pentode because of lethal B+ voltage required for it to breathe free.

pieter t 13th May 2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Einric (Post 3021859)
I am looking at a Tubelab Simple SE.
What I am wondering is if the GU-50 would be a good pentode to choose?
I understand that I would have to wire up the special socket (no biggie).
What I am more concerned about is whether or not the rest of the build would be pretty straight forward like any other pentode?
Also I'd be looking at just Class A mode and am wondering how much power I could expect....Triode? UL? Pentode?....at least 10W??

I'd suggest SE class B :D

tricomp 13th May 2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavebourn (Post 3022126)
I have no plans about Denmark yet, but for beginners I would not recommend Gu-50 in pentode because of lethal B+ voltage required for it to breathe free.

Actually that would be down-sizing for me.
I used to repair Color-TV's when it was interesting with tubes in the EHT :D
My first job at all in the biz was maintaining a Gates BC-1T MW-TX with plenty of 833A's where it counts. That was in 1976.

When does a GU-50 start breathing free? At 1KV? And shouldn't it really be driven into grid-current to produce?

rgds,

/tri-comp

Wavebourn 13th May 2012 09:48 PM

I would prefer 800V / 8K load.

And for an output stage I would consider grid currents to occur, even if only on peaks, so I personally tend to avoid coupling capacitors to 1'st grids of any output tubes when possible.

Einric 14th May 2012 01:03 AM

@ Wave, I really appreciate your input, it seems that you know a lot about the GU-50.
I am in fact looking at Triode mode for whatever tube that I choose.
I really like the tube socket and possible power output of the GU-50.
The GU-50 also has had quite a few praises for quality and it is nice and cheap.

The Simple SE with GU-50 would run Triode mode I'm mainly wondering about the suitability of this valve in the Simple SE.

Thanks,

Rich

Wavebourn 14th May 2012 02:49 AM

In triode mode with cathode resistor bias 450V B+ is the way to go.

Einric 14th May 2012 03:33 AM

@ Wave, with 450V B+ on the Simple SE GU-50; do you think that is a good application?
What do you suppose I could expect, power wise & quality wise?
I am in the process of building some 96db efficient speakers so I don't need a heap of power.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:24 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2