• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Darling 1626

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know that changing coupling caps can make/break the sound. What resistors/caps can i upgrade to improve the sound on this circuit. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1626Clementine.JPG
    1626Clementine.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 417
replace C1 and C2 with 1Uf 630V Solen or 1uf 400V Musicap. Stay away from Wima's.

Heater supply is very important to adress. take the heater supply, do not directly ground it. instead, take a .1uf cap and go from heater ground to dc ground. never use a laptop power supply as this will induce its noise on the heater which in turn will be amplified in all tube stages. I never really use the dc heater method other than circuits that are battery powered. of course it wouldn't be hard to make a charging circuit for a battery then the unit is off and then run the heaters off of a battery.

Originally Posted by DavesNotHere: "Stay away from Wima's." HollowState;3022023 said:
I'm curious, exactly and precisely why? :confused:

I remember years ago using some nice Wima coupling caps I found in a surplus store in a Bogen PP 6V6 amp. It was driving a Stromberg Carlson red cone coax in a 3cu ft box using a Sherwood tuner as source. I was listening to a live broadcast on PBS in San Diego and was just stunned by the sound in my living room through this mono setup.

It was like being on stage at the event, with the sound of footsteps on the stage and the slight hum from an amp; people chatting offstage and a guitar being tuned. When the music started it was just like like live. Sometimes all the stars align and the electrons are all spinning together and the sound is real on even the most humble sound system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.