• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

“Earmax / G3 / Morgan Jones / Cavalli” Headphone Amp Reissue with 6SN7 Steroids

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I do not pretend to reinvent the wheel, just to have fun with a couple of 6F8G (big bottle 6SN7) that I have on the drawer. I am wondering how they would sound in this famous design.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have made no calculations:eek:, but I have been messing around with the values at Orcad Capture until I have found some that give nice waveforms when contrasting the two output tubes:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have a couple of doubts:

• Would this design benefit from a regulated Voltage Supply, like the Glassware PS-1?
  • Could the quality of sound improve by using more refined components, like Black Gate, Jensen caps, etc?

edit:
    3rd question: Is it a silly idea to use a 6F8G / 6SN7 with this design? :)

My 6F8G's are very mycrophonic when used at the CTH, but I guess that it would not be so bad if they are used as output tubes.

I currently have a Sense G3 (the chinese version of the omptimized Morgan Jones/Cavalli) and it is my favorite headphone amp so far: sweet, warm and non-fatiguing. The only thing that I do not like is that when I compare it to the DIY Cavalli CTH, the G3 lacks a little bit of dynamics, but I still prefer the “tubey” tone of the G3 (The CTH is a great headphone amp, don't get me wrong - It is just a matter of personal taste). This is why I am going to start the adventure of a new DIY headphone amp to try get the best from both.

Here is the super 6F8G mounted over the CTH and heating up the Sense G3

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.