• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

a little intermittent thump...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a Scott 209 integrated amp. It's stock, as far as I can tell, except for the NOS tubes I put in, all of which should be fine. It sounds sweet-- quiet, euphonious, not the greatest high end, but hey, whaddya expect from a 45-year old stock amp!

The problem is minor but noticeable-- every 30 seconds or so it emits a subtle thump of a mid-bass pitch-- kind of like a very quiet bass drum being hit with a fuzzy mallet. It's quieter, it seems, than any of the volume peaks in the music, but quite easy to hear.

Any idea what could be going on? As I said, the parts are stock, so any number of elements could be degraded by now. I've had dreams of getting a second one of these and doing a thorough parts-replacement, at least of the caps, wires, other potentially cruddy stuff, etc.

Thanks!

Jay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.