Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2012, 08:24 PM   #101
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

So the 12.6vct you have three wires on the winding. 6.3V0V6.3V. The two 6.3V taps give you your 12.6V. The CT can be used for a couple ways. You can use it to float the heater voltages if your PSU does not accomodate elevating your heater reference to B+/4. You can tape it off and ignore, or you could reference to ground.

If you are using it for your Aikido, the PSU already accomodates the circuitry to reference the heaters to B+/4 so in that application you can ignore it.

I have used 5 of the Aikido All In One type PSU's, I have 2, PS-3's, 1 PS-1, 1 PS-4, and 1 All in One running in different amps - all of these essentially have the same heater circuit with regulator.

For EVERY one I used 6.3V non CT windings (6.3V-0V) and deployed the voltage doubler so H+/H- is 12.6V and the jumpers are used based upon tube selection. I find this setup is very simple and easy with a lower parts count for the total setup.

As long as your heater winding section is over rated from an amperage standpoint it works great! Remember with a 12.6V heater voltage and 6.3V tubes you will be pulling half the amperage on the regulator.
Old 24th May 2012, 08:28 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

So I guess now I get it that the 230V Xformer I reference above, if it were a CT then it would be 115V0V115V rather than 230V0V

I love it when the light bulb goes off!
Old 24th May 2012, 08:44 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation cjkpkg!

I think I will use the trafos I listed... they can put out more current than I need, but that's ok, the smaller ones don't cost much less.
Old 24th May 2012, 08:50 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

yes when it comes to tubes amps(amperes) are cheap.

Especially when I look to the 600VA toroid used on my Pass F5...that thing is a monster.

My SimpleSE rocks pretty good and is only 200mA

My Pass F5 draws about 4A....of course the F5 thumps a "little" harder.
Old 24th May 2012, 09:38 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

I'll be using the Aikido with my Simple SE (built as power amp w/ 12BH7 driver), I will be building a matching chassis too...

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th May 2012, 09:51 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

WOW...beautiful chassis...

Which OPTs are those? James 6123's?

Last edited by cjkpkg; 24th May 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:08 PM   #107
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm looking at doing the same thing but with the Aikido in the same chassis.
Old 24th May 2012, 11:34 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkpkg View Post
WOW...beautiful chassis...

Which OPTs are those? James 6123's?
Thanks! Yes, they are the James OPTs. I used a few Riken resistors, Mundorf SIO coupling caps and motor run ps filter caps. It came out great, I'm very happy with the sound.
Old 25th May 2012, 01:02 PM   #109
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, that chassis is a work of art. Figured maple? What are the side posts made out of? That's some exquisite wood for sure.
Old 26th May 2012, 03:18 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
Yeah, that chassis is a work of art. Figured maple? What are the side posts made out of? That's some exquisite wood for sure.
Yes, it's spalted maple burl and walnut burl side posts. The ebay seller antlersexpress sells a lot of really nice wood, and luckily had some maple and walnut that should match the Simple SE pretty well. I used his lumber to make the Simple SE and matching speaker stands for my Omega XRS speakers, which BTW are awesome speakers for the Simple SE. I actually got the speakers first, then chose the Simple SE as the best choice to drive them, both for performance and economy.

I've been putting together the BOM for my Aikido and it's slow going because of the horrendous user guide. There are a couple of errors and omissions and no real schematic of the B+ power supply. I looked up the 9 pin guide and it shows the power supply and gives values for r13-16, which were completely missing in the Octal guide. EDIT: C19-22 is missing too. It gives the wrong value for C8 in the Octal guide as well. Anyway... it is almost done and I will post my parts list soon. It is getting expensive, I am too much of a parts *****.

Last edited by Davec113; 26th May 2012 at 03:39 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!