KT88 PP UL Design Help Needed - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2012, 03:02 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Chuck Hollander is a name that comes to mind on that . It's very complicated . I did tell Sid off about it . It is in place of a big choke . The ripple was I guess about 15 V . The 37 V dynamic range of the LM317 copes with that . Problem is it must not swing further . Transient can kill it . I speculated that if the transformer was split somehow it only need see the ripple and not need the protection . LM317 is fast enough for a class A if wondering . It is a bit like making LP's from CD as sometimes happens this idea . Slightly wrong yet it works .
Old 10th May 2012, 03:05 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

For 100W output from a pair of KT88's the data sheet gives a -75V (Vg1). Should I use this voltage or half of this voltage on the plate I vs E plots? The individual lines shown do not include -75V. Do I need a different plot? -37.5V gives a current up above 200mA this seems really high. If I extrapolate a line at -75V I would get a current of 0mA at 560Va which seems too low. From what I see B+=560, Eg1=-58.6 to give Ia=50mA???

JW
Old 10th May 2012, 03:18 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Here are a some typical operating points for KT88

TDSL Tube data [KT88]

Putting your 560V B+ and a 4.5K output transformer into Broskie's PP calculator software yields a bias voltage of -68V for AB1. The software is for PP triode only, but this would lead me to believe that you'll need close to -75V.

Last edited by boywonder; 10th May 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10th May 2012, 03:23 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Listening #111 | Stereophile.com

Didn't find what you wanted will ask friends . It says here hum was very good . No idea why he did it . Sid was a musician . It must have sounded better .He used Quad ESL 63 's if wondering .

I wasn't in the slightest bit interested in valves as we call them at the time ( about 1999 I think ) . I met Sid through a friend and had virtually no idea who he was . He talked me into believing capacitors mattered as he had just discovered it himself . I knew before him about it . I said nothing . He had a child s fascination about things . He wasn't high flung you know . He said he always needed other engineers to help .
Old 10th May 2012, 04:47 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Eat as much as you can

Technical books online

This is like those buffet meals that say eat as much as you like . Happy reading
Old 10th May 2012, 05:05 PM   #26
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
I can never get my head around them . I was taught by Sid Smith the designer of Marantz amps . He gave up . He agreed my way works . Very nice man was Sid . Sid used LM317 for HT smoothing . It was arranged to work at 400 V and was a famous modification . I always would use cathode bias as it adjusts the KT88 as it ages . Sid always triode connected his amps at home . Sowter in UK make transformers about as good as SIds .
I had Art Audio Concerto triode/UL kt88 with variable feedback and cathode bias. One of their early units made in GB-terrible workmanship ,excellent sound I regret I did not copy schematic and manual .It was the best sounding KT88 PP amp I heard to date.
Old 10th May 2012, 05:10 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Art

I think it is a standard circuit with good transformers .
Old 11th May 2012, 06:47 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsplatjw View Post
For 100W output from a pair of KT88's the data sheet gives a -75V (Vg1). Should I use this voltage or half of this voltage on the plate I vs E plots? The individual lines shown do not include -75V. Do I need a different plot? -37.5V gives a current up above 200mA this seems really high. If I extrapolate a line at -75V I would get a current of 0mA at 560Va which seems too low. From what I see B+=560, Eg1=-58.6 to give Ia=50mA???

JW
With todays KT88's, keep Iquies low; or they won't last long at 560V and the business gets costly.

Decades ago, KT88 UL circuits were about that showed Iquies 60mA at 600V+, a non-survivable grilling for todays tubes. That's the reason I went to parallel push pull.

richy
Old 11th May 2012, 11:48 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Gu 50 ?

What about the Russian version GU 50 ? It is worth a look . It was what the Germans came up with about 1942 and think was called a Ray Pentode . Time is running out to buy these . Telefunken LS 50 and Chinese FU 50 also .

GU-50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.qrz.ru/reference/tubes2/type3/gu50.shtml

Last edited by nigel pearson; 11th May 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11th May 2012, 01:39 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

This forum is great, my learning has taken leaps since I posted my questions.

I have decided that yes, 560 V is too high and am looking now at 460-480V depending on what I use for a driver tube, if I can use the same B+ for both it reduces the complexity and the part count. It also means I can use the 21st century Maida regulator. Tom has already done the heavy lifting and is selling kits.

So now I need to get my driver up to snuff. At present I have a single 6SN7 drawn as a LTP which will take a 3.5V up to 124V or about 35 times. It has been suggested to me that I will need more gain when I add the NFB of between 14-20 dB. So now I am considering a pair of 6SN7's wired as a cascode LTP. Can I calculate the gain by finding the gain for a cascode then divide by two for putting it in a LTP?

Hide this!Advertise here!