Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2012, 08:58 PM   #41
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

I quickly put down a pair of bamboo headcup ES headphones at a audio show when I could easlily feel the leakage current

but line powered dynamic heaphone tube amps can safety earth the xfmr output side and then should be quite safe
Old 8th May 2012, 09:15 PM   #42
Simon B is offline Simon B  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
...line powered...

Never easy sorting that with "amphibious" equipment though.
Old 9th May 2012, 05:58 PM   #43
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Most enjoyable thread, about the only laugh I've had in Barrow this week, you could say I submersided myself in reading the banter posted herin...
Cheers
Old 9th May 2012, 11:19 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Hi Marce,

I'm not going to enquire too closely about what you're doing in Barrow, but please don't let any passing Ministry of Defence bods pick up on this as a new procurement initiative. I think we know what could happen.
Old 10th May 2012, 02:33 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
the wires are much clooser to you with headphones, I have yet to see a audio output xfmr claim "double insulated" construction

while as long as the headphone insulation/air space is fine you won't have problems - there is little question that the safety story is less compelling with heaphones powered from lethal supply V on your head vs the same powering speakers 10 ft away from your listening position
OTOH, speakers have exposed connections designed for your thumbs. You might even try to tighten them both at once. That's why speakers, and headphone leads, should always be grounded, and the amp should be appropriately fused.
Old 10th May 2012, 02:57 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
Of the OTL I understand. Of the SET I do not.
Same point, more or less, taken a little further. I don't thing OTLs have ever been legitimate, BTW.

Apart from the adoption of some SS ancilliary circuits, it seems that a great deal of the effort devoted to valve amps post-RDH4 has been to cope with modern recordings, sources, and speakers. This largely boils down to reducing output impedance, which in turn translates to a struggle to reduce OPT winding ratio.

The relatively high impedance of headphones allow a reasonable turns ratio, just about, and low bass is possible without losing the top end.
Old 10th May 2012, 09:31 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Speakers might be safer I suppose, but I've never heard a mylar cone drive unit sound anything but awful.

Hide this!Advertise here!