• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Shipping a vacuum tube to China

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just sold a vacuum tube to a gentleman in China on Ebay, and while completing the USPS online forms, I came across this, which appears to specifically prohibit "valves/tubes"..........

PROHIBITIONS:
Radio receivers, transmitters or receivers of all kinds, walkie-talkies and parts thereof; valves, antennae, etc. Used clothing and bedding. Wrist-watches, cameras, television sets, radio sets, tape records, bicycles, sewing machines, and ventilators.

So.....is this a problem? It certainly appears so.

The tube in question is a telefunken ECC803s so I cannot afford to have it confiscated.......

Does anyone have any experience mailing/shipping tubes to China?

I read the restrictions on the USPS website. It's seems that the prohibition is for "walkie-talkies and parts thereof which include valves, antenae, etc.
Since this valve is not from (or for) a walkie-talkie, it would seem that the tube is permissible.
You may want to call another shipper (UPS perhaps) and ask about the restrictions.
Good luck.

I have not had any problems shipping to China. I expect the issue is that China doesn't want consumer goods smuggled in. So shipping antiques is permitted.

But really pack it securely, as if you didn't know that. One tip, USPS from eBay is insured from paypal it is not!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.