• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Found tons of Tubes,and many other parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Grayburn caps cross to Sprague numbers. The "TVA's" are "Atoms", the TVL's are twist-lock cans. I'm not sure about the other numbers. All the Mallory caps are twist-locks except the "WD" that I can't identify. I have no idea about the GE's. I've identified all the CDE's as twist-locks.
Now I know why I kept those old catalogs!

Thumpers--I think you have confused me with someone else. I'm not looking for tubes, as I have way too many now. I have some interest in the rack of polystyrene caps. I just have some old capacitor catalogs that I was able to use to identify some of your electrolytic caps.

I looked quick, seems like perhaps someone has already gone through the tubes and taken the valuable ones. I could not find any 6SN7 for instance, a very common tube, in the large rack of 6xxx octal box photos. Every possible *other* tube is there, though...a pretty incredible collection of, well, tubes nobody cares about.

Worked with a local woman a couple years ago in a similar position - her dad had 4 large sheds and a basement full of old electronics stuff. About 90% was undesirable old stuff in large quantities. Since she has already had about 50 people come through and tell her the same thing, my news was not that devastating.

I was able to work with her, and get into the places that were bee/hornet infested and otherwise, well, old tucked away stashes. Yep, that's where the really old 4 pin radio pentodes and triodes were. Nothing of great value, no 300Bs or even 2A3s, but a quad of 6B4Gs and many rare early radio tubes...and lots of 6SN7s, 12AX7s, 12AU7s, etc.
Still, not too much there, but there were some decent tubes, sockets, switches, knobs, and film and foil caps once tested and cleaned. When it was all said and done, 90-95% of the old stuff went to the dumpster.
She was selling the stuff for $2 a wheelbarrow at the end...This included old receivers, and so on.Oh yeah, also grabbed an old Tek tube based scope, said to have been owned by "the NY subway vigilante, Bernhard Goetz, but who knows? The family was originally from LI, NY.

I looked quick, seems like perhaps someone has already gone through the tubes and taken the valuable ones.

I came to the same conclusion. I looked at all of the pictures and read as many of the numbers that I could on my phone. I did not see any of the common audio tubes. Most seems to be standard TV repair shop stuff with the HiFi tubes already removed. That does not make them worthless. I Think I saw a few high dollar sweep tubes, and tons of stuff that a good DIYer with a fertile imagination could use to make an amp or two or a hundred.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.