Bass & Treble controls, or rather lack of. - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2012, 02:53 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

I forgot to mention that the transition from SS to Valves was a vast improvement to the listening experience. No going back !
Old 5th May 2012, 03:11 PM   #42
jim1961 is offline jim1961  United States
diyAudio Member

The thing that nobody has mentioned so far is that most of us are lazy. That is, even when we have a plethora of tweak knobs, we tend not to use them. Usually, if we do have them, we get one overall sound that makes most things sound right, and then listen to everything at that setting. Constantly getting up and changing things gets fatiguing.

I will admit that getting to that first overall good sound is important, whether that constitutes using a EQ or not.

So maybe the answer to why there are not tone controls on most pre amps is that we dont use them much when they are there
Old 5th May 2012, 05:23 PM   #43
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

I think most of this is related to the Audiophool sort of snobbery or close-to-lunacy that has evolved since the 80. Before this craze got on, qiote a lot of even the very best of gear had tone controls. While I surely can see that a badly designed set of tone controls may introduce some unwanted effects, there is really not a probelm today, to include a bypassable quality tone control, with 'some' action. As already mentioned, the classical +/- 10-15dB controls that were common may well be overkill from what one would need, but a more limited action is easily achieved.

Add to this the common misconception, that the product we buy as music, is perfect in origin. At least some of us know this is lightyears away from being true. One may also try to briefly mention all the EQ and hate-inducing opamps the product has passed through, before it ends up by us users as a final product...... <sigh>
Old 6th May 2012, 05:42 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

When I play vinyl's I run the t/table through a BGW SYSTEMS pre-amp straight into the Aux input of tube receiver amp (I had to do this as the Sansui 1000A(mid 60's) has a crap phono section being SS & not working)( I made my own input selector switch). The Pioneer SA-810 (mid 60's) took it's place and I haven't gotten around to trying the phono section of "it" yet (a separate pair of 12ax7's), but I must say that I have no problems with the BGW preamp. I got it from my father (not working) + the BGW SYSTEMS power amp 200wpc that is it's partner in crime (also not working, these were swept of a mantle piece by a jealous acquaintance who got his comeuppance ). 1983
He had these big Tannoy spkrs that I wasn't able to get my hands on.

One day I'll get around to making an all tube phono preamp. I just wish I had more room (+ more hours in each day)to do all these things so I could have 'em all set up at various locations, to do some comparisons.
I still wouldn't be without tone controls !

Cheers, PS: Currently listening to STEELEYE SPAN on vinyl.
Andrew.

Last edited by Archibaldy; 6th May 2012 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention.
Old 7th May 2012, 02:06 AM   #45
Zekk is offline Zekk  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Once, I've this snubbish feeling of being a purist, using CJ Premeir Fourteen, with no tone controls except remote volumn control. Then, someone from this Forum reconmended me the Eico HF85, and now, I can't live without it.
Previously, listening to Indian music by Karunesh sounds chaotic with it's heavy drum and bass.... but, not anymore!
Tone down the bass and every instrument comes into focus.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:37 PM   #46
soeren is offline soeren  Greenland
diyAudio Member

Just a little comment:

You can not correct much for the room as the direct sound from the speaker is not influenced by the room. So if you use tone controls in order to correct for the room a compromise must be made between correction for direct and/or indirect sound.

Søren
Old 7th May 2012, 12:43 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibaldy View Post
I forgot to mention that the transition from SS to Valves was a vast improvement to the listening experience. No going back !
That's very subjective.

There are some very poor valve amps and some truly brilliant SS amps out there.

This is a thread on TONE CONTROLs so let us not cloud it with the very old and subjective SS against TUBE argument.

Last edited by KatieandDad; 7th May 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!