5f1 Champ grounding - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2012, 09:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 5f1 Champ grounding

Hi all.
I have just completed the amplifier section of the 5f1 fender champ, and what a good sounding piece of history this is. However there is one problem, a hum/buzz that increases as you turn the amp up. to me it sounds like a grounding issue. the amp is grounded in several places all of them to the chassis. The connection points are as follows, preamp to input jack, power caps to PT bolt 6.3vCT to PT bolt HT CT to PT bolt and of course mains earth to PT bolt.

I was reading somewhere that it is possible to put a resistor between the CT and ground. I think this was used in the marshall jcm900 circuit however they used two diodes a resistor and a cap all in parallel to ground.

does anyone have a suggestion for me as to whether this will work and what resistor value should I use? any other considerations?

or am I just blowing bubbles?

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5f1_schem.jpg (448.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 5f1_layout.jpg (349.8 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by magnetman; 2nd May 2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The first thing I would do is to float the input jacks off the chassis and to bring their signal grounds to the bottom of R4 and C7. At the input jacks, I'd also connect the jacks' grounds to chassis with a small capacitor, maybe .001 to .01, something to shunt off stray RF.

To get really serious, I'd add a Zobel across the input of 100pF and 75 Ohms series'd. Or maybe not, but I'd try it and keep it if I couldn't hear any tone issues, as extra insurance.

All good fortune,
Chris
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

cool I will try this on the weekend.

cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!