Alfred Morgan Tube Preamplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2012, 12:43 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Alfred Morgan Tube Preamplifier

Does anyone have any experience with this Alfred Morgan preamp? I am looking for a my 1st preamp project and was wondering if this has been built and tested by any of the forum members.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:06 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm going to move this to tubes / valves since I suspect it will get a bit more notice there..

I built one of his AM regenerative radio designs as a kid, worked fine.. Had fun building it with quite a lot of help from my father.. (I was 7 at the time.)

Have to ask what the intended purpose is, reliance on things like grid leak bias makes it more suitable for use with one Morgan's crystal radio sets.
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
;cop: I'm going to move this to tubes / valves since I suspect it will get a bit more notice there..

I built one of his AM regenerative radio designs as a kid, worked fine..
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:42 AM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It will have an impractically high output impedance as well as too low an input overload for modern use. Perfect with his crystal radio and power amp. Not hifi but educational.

BTW, when I was a kid, I loved the Alfred P. Morgan books; my blessed wife has found and bought me nearly all of his science and electricity books over the past couple of years.
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the response. I am poking around for a tube preamp to build and this looked interesting. Good feedback concerning the preamp, thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
It will have an impractically high output impedance as well as too low an input overload for modern use. Perfect with his crystal radio and power amp. Not hifi but educational.

BTW, when I was a kid, I loved the Alfred P. Morgan books; my blessed wife has found and bought me nearly all of his science and electricity books over the past couple of years.
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:13 AM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

500k is a bit small for grid leak bias so the bias point will almost certainly be sub-optimal! Severe distortion on all but the smallest signals is likely. To be honest, it does not look to me to be a well-designed circuit even for its (presumed) intended use of amplifying a crystal set.

You need to bear in mind that 'preamp' simply means an amp which comes before the main amp; it does not necessarily mean 'hi-fi stereo preamp' or even 'audio preamp'.
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:49 PM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
<snip>

I used to have them all as a kid, in the move back from overseas or sometime afterwards they went AWOL.. I have the second one in the series picked up from a used bookstore. As I kid I used to dream of building what I now know is a death trap 50C5 PP amplifier - mains operated and nary an isolation transformer in sight.

Hide this!Advertise here!