heater wiring - the Good the Bad and the Ugly - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2014, 08:47 PM   #81
mdamp is offline mdamp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for putting this together, it has helped me, I have switched from mains power to Standalone solar power 24vdc/220vac 50hz pure sine wave inverter and my valve amp now seems to be running prefect, as I now run 85% of my home on Standalone solar. I could run my heaters on the valve amp directly off battery power with a regulator reg the power at a constant 6.3v but it is easier now just to plug it into the pure sine wave inverter. You wrote on my post and it helped me I got confused on 1 thing but Am working that out {I think lol}
Old 18th February 2014, 04:45 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

Hi Guido and valve 5425 and others thanks

Very interesting tread and answers.

I will go with a séparate filament transformer with center tap and try also some dc way.

I must say that I like old ways for tube amplifiers.

But an open mind is alwalys the best way.

Gilles from France, a rainy day in Normandy.
Old 25th November 2014, 10:30 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

I wondered if anyone has tried using Utp Cat 5e twisted pairs as heater wiring. They could come handy in case one gets bored (or afraid) twisting.

Could such a twist length be considered appropriate for the job?
Old 25th November 2014, 11:20 PM   #84
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Rather small gauge and unless teflon insulated type the insulation seems to melt pretty easily. I just twist a pair of irradiated pvc wire of 20ga - 22ga or so with my electric drill if I need a longish run.
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #85
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Cat5 pairs for heater wiring came up in another thread. The longest twist pitch on one of the pairs may be too long for AC heaters. Note that Cat5 gains its isolation not from tight twisting but from different twisting in each pair. It is solving a different problem: inter-pair crosstalk rather than interaction with nearby circuits.

Hide this!Advertise here!