• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Where do super high end companies get their transformers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Personally I would not count on nfb to improve anything in a tube amp.
Definitely not when the NFB is sensed from the secondary side of the OT.

Others may have different opinions...

As I may have touched upon, your frame of reference - your listening experience(s), standards, hearing and your present system (or other friend's 'reference system') will make a big difference in terms of what your expectation for reproduced sound is going to be. I guess the simple way to say it is that everyone's idea of "good" seems to be somewhat different.

That's part of the reason it is a cool hobby, avocation or profession. Also why there are so many choices and options to pick from. There is no single definitive amp or design or output transformer.

_-_-bear

Output transformers are best designed by Transformer designers, not engineers. It is very much an area that a knowledgable engineer would enter "very" reluctantly, as it is more nearly akin to a Black Art than science or engineering.

Power Transformers? No problem at all for any decent Double Eagle.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Depends on the company of course.

Some designers used "classic" designs. High End manufacturers used thier own designers (sometimes). Anyway, most High End transformers were custom built.

Personally I would not count on nfb to improve anything in a tube amp.
Definitely not when the NFB is sensed from the secondary side of the OT.

Others may have different opinions...

As I may have touched upon, your frame of reference - your listening experience(s), standards, hearing and your present system (or other friend's 'reference system') will make a big difference in terms of what your expectation for reproduced sound is going to be. I guess the simple way to say it is that everyone's idea of "good" seems to be somewhat different.

That's part of the reason it is a cool hobby, avocation or profession. Also why there are so many choices and options to pick from. There is no single definitive amp or design or output transformer.

_-_-bear

Do I understand this to mean you know what you expect to hear from this type of design even before it is built? :)

To me it sounds more like you are asking what makes one transformer different from another similar transformer and how that can affect the sound. ie. What do you get from more expensive transformers like Tamura, that you would not get with an Edcore if the transformers are the same specs? Honestly I would like to know this myself as it seems very hard to find info like this. If you want to find this info on capacitors though, there are endless pages of info.

Are transformers different then caps in that if they measure the same they perform the same soundwise?

They rarely measure the same. What you are supposed to get with higher price, and sometimes do, is lower leakage inductance, higher primary inductance, lower DCR, better balance, higher headroom, and lower distortion. Sometimes these things come with tradeoffs beyond price, e.g., the greater propensity of toroids to saturate with DC imbalance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.