Books for Tube nOObies... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2003, 07:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Books for Tube nOObies...

Been working on SS gear for many years, but I would like to venture into the world of tubes. I honestly don't know much about tubes, and the few book which have been recommended to me seem to spend a lot of time on electronic basics (such as how a transformer or a capacitor works). Maybe these are good books, but if half the book is spent on 'teaching' me what a cap does, then there is that much less to go into the workings of the amps.

So...is there by chance a good book available that is suitable for someone who doesn't need at start from ground zero regarding general electronics, yet barely knows what a triode is?
Old 5th October 2003, 07:17 PM   #2
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
http://w1.859.telia.com/~u85920178/begin/tube0.htm
Old 5th October 2003, 09:05 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There are lots of good online resources, but the 3 books i keep reading over & over are:

Morgan Jones' Valve Amplifiers (a new edition has just shipped -- Morgan says it is twice as thick as my 1st Edition)

Allen Wright's Pre-Amp Cookbook

Bruce Rosenblitz's entry level book (his Audio Reality i also found to be a good read)

dave
Old 5th October 2003, 10:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A free, well written and excellent primer on the most common type of configuration for tubes in audio amps.

Read and understand this before you spend a single dollar on a book (except perhaps the Jones one Dave mentions above). The author, John Broskie, really knows his stuff.

If you're desperate for something tactile, ie hardcopy, there's a pdf you can download and print.

http://www.tubecad.com/articles_2003...ier/index.html
Old 6th October 2003, 10:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Morgan Jones' Valve Amplifiers ..I have 2nd Edition..it is one of the most useful books I have on valve amp building...

Bruce Rosenblitz's second book I don't care for...I think the first book would have been nicer for me.

Cheers,
Bas

All in all the web is great for learning...cause it is interactive but can be passive as well..If you like...

Try to mail Craig Ryder over at the AA...he is something of a librarian when it comes to online links to learning tube/valve stuff.
Old 6th October 2003, 11:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

EchoWars

Welcome aboard!

As one that also spend years on SS gear I can see where you are coming from. Years ago I considered tubes as a long lost art that should have been banished. Please forgive me Frank as I knew not what I was doing. Get ready to re learn all the formulas that you probably haven't used in years.

The Morgan book is good. But probably the best learning process is to read Everything that Frank,Brett,Sy,Bas,Planet, and numerous others have to say.

As you will find out...tubes have a very pleasing sound and once you get past the fact that the distortion is somewhat higher you will accept them with open arms.

They do get hot unlike the SS gear.

Joe
Old 6th October 2003, 12:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Frank,Brett,Sy,Bas,Planet,
Hi Joe,

My name does not belong in that list. But I do know how to link to people that do!

Anyway you are right about the learning process...reading the tube forums....is a brilliant way of learning plus you actually make friends (and enemies) sometimes......you can really ask anything, like what is a good starter project, where to get parts, and why you need a grid leak resistor...

Cheers,
Bas
Old 12th October 2003, 07:13 AM   #8
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Default Forums

Quote:
Originally posted by Bas Horneman

Anyway you are right about the learning process...reading the tube forums....is a brilliant way of learning plus you actually make friends (and enemies) sometimes......you can really ask anything, like what is a good starter project, where to get parts, and why you need a grid leak resistor...

Cheers,
Bas
Hi Joe,
Bas is correct , there are a lot of helpful people out there and you may even bump into our old friend Joel at some point

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...ts&r=&session=

316a
Old 13th October 2003, 12:04 AM   #9
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Bas is correct , there are a lot of helpful people out there and you may even bump into our old friend Joel at some point
Naughty 316/A,

Boy, that young man should really come back here...

They're going to lynch him at AA, I somehow feel sorry for him...really.

Cheers,
Old 25th March 2004, 05:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the resources.

Here are a couple that I have found quite useful:

http://www.audioxpress.com/resource/...lass/index.htm

These are reprints of classic articles on tube amp design.

http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/

A very nice (Navy!) introduction to electronics in general and (in Module 6) tubes in particular.

Best,

George Ferguson

Hide this!Advertise here!