Merlyn- May AudioXpress - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2012, 03:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Merlyn- May AudioXpress

Hi gang,

I hope you like my latest design in aX. Now that it's out I can talk a little about it and answer any questions you might have.
Getting it in for the May issues took some work, I wanted to work it in with the tube issue even though technically it's hybrid, the sound is very much a tube sound though.

Getting it out so fast there is a small mistake on the power supply board that I have contacted the editor about and they should have a correction in the auxiliary files.
My web site is www.dsgnspec.com if you have questions or comments. I may try to get some boards made.

Yes, you can use the SS section to amp and buffer other tubes. I wanted this to be flexible and an open circuit for experimentation, things like changing out the 5002's for LME49600 I would think will work fine with a little tweaking. I feel the THS4631 is a good high speed choice but I'm certainly open to your inputs.

While you can use other tubes I'd run this with the 1T4's first just to hear how sweet these directly heated little tubes sound. I've been listening to this amp tied to my 5002 Project from (Feb 2012) of aX at my computer for some time now and I like the sound through my Dynaudio's.

There also should be an updated version of my digital pot (Sept 2011) around June, I made it 128 position, added a balance control and a new display, it is called "PI" (shown here running a 6SN7 preamp). Merlyn uses the new pot and you can see it in the attached photo also.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PI&Clock.JPG (176.3 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 5.jpg (625.7 KB, 496 views)
Old 23rd April 2012, 03:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I love it...I was just saying in another thread how much I would enjoy building this. Unfortunatley..I dont know squat.
Any chance I can send you the money and you get all the parts for me?????

dont laugh...I'm as serious as a heart attack!
Old 23rd April 2012, 03:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptquark View Post
I love it...I was just saying in another thread how much I would enjoy building this. Unfortunatley..I dont know squat.
Any chance I can send you the money and you get all the parts for me?????

dont laugh...I'm as serious as a heart attack!

Thanks!
It really brings me great joy to share these projects with so many enthusiastic and talented people.

I'm going to see the response and how much builders like it and then we'll see about boards although I don't know if I will stuff the boards though... we'll see.

Rob
Old 23rd April 2012, 03:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaroni View Post
Thanks!
It really brings me great joy to share these projects with so many enthusiastic and talented people.

I'm going to see the response and how much builders like it and then we'll see about boards although I don't know if I will stuff the boards though... we'll see.

Rob
Nah..dont stuff the boards. Thats the fun part. My problem is that I want to have everything available so I dont have to look for this and that. I can deal with doing an enclosure myself.

Whats the output on that little guy? Im interested in amp moreso than headamp.
Old 23rd April 2012, 03:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptquark View Post
Nah..dont stuff the boards. Thats the fun part. My problem is that I want to have everything available so I dont have to look for this and that. I can deal with doing an enclosure myself.

Whats the output on that little guy? Im interested in amp moreso than headamp.

Actually, I designed it more as a preamp than a headphone amp. With the buffers it will drive even difficult loads. The output impedance is ~3 ohms but it won't drive speakers directly. Take a look my aX "The 5002 Project" to see the amp it drives.
I would think some of the gain clones will work fine. I'd like to hear it powering a 300B or even a single ended EL84 which I think is an underrated tube.

Rob
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

This is DIYaudio please place schematic..

Ronny
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaroni View Post
Actually, I designed it more as a preamp than a headphone amp. With the buffers it will drive even difficult loads. The output impedance is ~3 ohms but it won't drive speakers directly. Take a look my aX "The 5002 Project" to see the amp it drives.
I would think some of the gain clones will work fine. I'd like to hear it powering a 300B or even a single ended EL84 which I think is an underrated tube.

Rob
I love EL84's. My Melody uses those.
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koifarm View Post
This is DIYaudio please place schematic..

Ronny

Please understand, contractual issues don't allow me to at this point, you'll have to get a copy of aX.

Rob
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:20 PM   #9
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Not everybody can get hold of audioexpress. When you can not get more information then you should post in the vendor place.
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koifarm View Post
Not everybody can get hold of audioexpress. When you can not get more information then you should post in the vendor place.

I'm not selling anything. I'm offering help to those interested in the design.

Rob

Hide this!Advertise here!