• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Merlyn- May AudioXpress

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi gang,

I hope you like my latest design in aX. Now that it's out I can talk a little about it and answer any questions you might have.
Getting it in for the May issues took some work, I wanted to work it in with the tube issue even though technically it's hybrid, the sound is very much a tube sound though.

Getting it out so fast there is a small mistake on the power supply board that I have contacted the editor about and they should have a correction in the auxiliary files.
My web site is www.dsgnspec.com if you have questions or comments. I may try to get some boards made.

Yes, you can use the SS section to amp and buffer other tubes. I wanted this to be flexible and an open circuit for experimentation, things like changing out the 5002's for LME49600 I would think will work fine with a little tweaking. I feel the THS4631 is a good high speed choice but I'm certainly open to your inputs.

While you can use other tubes I'd run this with the 1T4's first just to hear how sweet these directly heated little tubes sound. I've been listening to this amp tied to my 5002 Project from (Feb 2012) of aX at my computer for some time now and I like the sound through my Dynaudio's.

There also should be an updated version of my digital pot (Sept 2011) around June, I made it 128 position, added a balance control and a new display, it is called "PI" (shown here running a 6SN7 preamp). Merlyn uses the new pot and you can see it in the attached photo also.

Rob

Attachments

• PI&Clock.JPG
    PI&Clock.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 555
  • Photo 5.jpg
    Photo 5.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 535
I love it...I was just saying in another thread how much I would enjoy building this. Unfortunatley..I dont know squat.
Any chance I can send you the money and you get all the parts for me?????

dont laugh...I'm as serious as a heart attack!

Thanks!
It really brings me great joy to share these projects with so many enthusiastic and talented people.

I'm going to see the response and how much builders like it and then we'll see about boards although I don't know if I will stuff the boards though... we'll see.

Rob

Thanks!
It really brings me great joy to share these projects with so many enthusiastic and talented people.

I'm going to see the response and how much builders like it and then we'll see about boards although I don't know if I will stuff the boards though... we'll see.

Rob

Nah..dont stuff the boards. Thats the fun part. My problem is that I want to have everything available so I dont have to look for this and that. I can deal with doing an enclosure myself.

Whats the output on that little guy? Im interested in amp moreso than headamp.

Nah..dont stuff the boards. Thats the fun part. My problem is that I want to have everything available so I dont have to look for this and that. I can deal with doing an enclosure myself.

Whats the output on that little guy? Im interested in amp moreso than headamp.

Actually, I designed it more as a preamp than a headphone amp. With the buffers it will drive even difficult loads. The output impedance is ~3 ohms but it won't drive speakers directly. Take a look my aX "The 5002 Project" to see the amp it drives.
I would think some of the gain clones will work fine. I'd like to hear it powering a 300B or even a single ended EL84 which I think is an underrated tube.

Rob

Actually, I designed it more as a preamp than a headphone amp. With the buffers it will drive even difficult loads. The output impedance is ~3 ohms but it won't drive speakers directly. Take a look my aX "The 5002 Project" to see the amp it drives.
I would think some of the gain clones will work fine. I'd like to hear it powering a 300B or even a single ended EL84 which I think is an underrated tube.

Rob

I love EL84's. My Melody uses those.

I have speaker builders back to 1972. I was a loyal subscriber -- a firm supporter of Ed Dell. But with Ed selling, and the new owners doubling the cost for an on-line subscription, and the decline in content in the issues since the takeover, i did not re-up.

dave

Yes, Ed Dell is a special person, no question about it. Some of my designs were actually slated for aX while he was still editor but it takes a lot to put out a magazine and, as many of you know, Ed is getting up there in age so unfortunately they never made it in while he was still editor.

With that said, the new editors have been fair with me and do give me a lot of latitude in my articles, I'm sorry about the higher cost, I wish everyone could afford the new price because I think it's a wonderful thing to have the tremendous creativity these types of publications bring to the reader that the reader in turn brings to exceptional boards like this so we all benefit.

I grew up in the halcyon days of DIY well before the internet. I remember as a young boy the joy of getting some of the publications I wrote for when I got older like "Popular Electronics". So I don't write for the money, yes it's nice to get a check, but I write for everyone of you who carry on this personal joy of self discovery through building and sites like this where creativity is paramount. We live in a world of plug and play void of the the personal satisfaction many here get from listening to something they built. I hope you all understand the magnitude of that and what it brings to you on a personal level because I've been doing this for almost 60 years (I got my first soldering iron at eight!) and I know how important it is to me. I wake up every morning with new designs in my head and I'm eager to read how others change and adapt my circuits in ways I never thought of.

So,again, I'm sorry the price is up on aX, Ed couldn't afford to pay me what the articles were worth, he openly expressed his dismay at that but we agreed to go forward regardless. The writers get more money now for their efforts, Elektor is big business and I know that, but I admire the fact that they have kept aX as personal as they have in a era where we saw Gernsback go out of the publishing business after 100 years. If anything sadens me it's the thought of not having these publications. If Elektor hadn't picked up aX we wouldn't have aX, this is something to keep in mind.

Robert Nance Dee

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.