My amp is motorboating, improve it with b+ regulator ? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2012, 06:27 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Within a feedback loop it all gets more complicated than that.
Hello DF96, i imagined it's not as easy ...

i ordered some parts so i can try some of the suggestions, i dont expect them to be here before friday.
i am testing the right channel of the amp. the left channel is connected to the supply, with a load and with the input grounded. I am wondering if it would be best to disconnect left, so it can't interfere with the one i am testing? is it enough to just disconnect the b+ rail from the CCS V1/V2?
Old 15th May 2012, 06:42 PM   #32
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Probably, yes.

You can remove the resistor on the zener string without waiting for parts. That might be enough to cure it.
Old 15th May 2012, 09:03 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

some testing done,
first i removed B+ from the left channel to make sure i only measure whats happening on the right. i conected the pc to the input terminal, feeding 40Hz 0.2V. NFB loop is open, and increase the volume.

-i removed R13 from the loop, LED is off, but thats the only change. the bias balance circuit (attached) reacts, i see the LED flashing at LF.

-as suggested by MelB i decreased C23, first to 250uF and then to 150uF with no change. same as above.

looks like i have to wait for a few zeners and caps to try some other suggestions
Attached Images
File Type: gif bias-bal.gif (15.5 KB, 162 views)
Old 15th May 2012, 09:36 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

By 'remove R13' do you mean just cut it out or replace it with a short? The latter is correct.
Old 15th May 2012, 09:55 PM   #35
MelB is offline MelB  Canada
diyAudio Member

Your LM7812's should have a small cap on each side!
Old 15th May 2012, 10:25 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Wow...this is not a simple design...over my head certainly. Do we have all of the "parts" posted now? I wish I could help.
Old 16th May 2012, 10:00 PM   #37
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's what I think is going on:

I think the reason you're having issues with motor boating is that the "reference" for your CCS is derived by a resistive divider from the power supply. Take the "CCS" on the input pair: The "reference" is formed by R30, R31. I use the quotes (" ") to indicate that it really isn't much of a reference, it's just a fraction of the 320 V supply. The 320 V isn't exactly 320 V either. It's whatever B+ happens to be minus the voltage drop across R7+R8 in the supply. On start-up, there is very little drop across R7+R8. As the input tube starts conducting, the supply voltage to the input stage will drop as the voltage across R7+R8 increases. This causes the voltage across R30 to decrease. This causes the current of the "CCS" to decrease. This causes the supply voltage to increase (less drop across R7+R8). Now the voltage across R30 increases, hence, increasing the current in the "CCS". This is motor boating. I bet the frequency is roughly 1/(2pi*R30*C25). If you double C25, I bet the motor boating frequency will be half.

Similarly, the stability of the "CCS" on the phase splitter is dependent on the stability of the 24 V bias voltage.

The motor boating is caused by the current of the "CCS" being strongly dependent on the power supply voltage. Replacing R30 with a zener diode would be one way to fix this issue. It would result in a somewhat temperature dependent CCS current but at least the motor boating issue should be fixed. With the current circuit values, I suspect a 47 V zener would work. Or use one of the 51 V zeners in series with the "ON" LED for a quick test... This test would reveal if it's worthwhile building a different CCS or if the motor boating is caused by something else.

~Tom
Old 16th May 2012, 10:34 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

It is a bit more complicated than that. A single RC can't cause LF oscillation as it can only give 90 degrees of phase shift. The extra phase shift comes from the coupling caps as they have a time constant in the same ballpark as the 'CCS'.
Old 17th May 2012, 12:25 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Here's a thought. Get rid of R1. 1 Hz is an insanely low frequency and to me has to involve a large cap and a relatively small imbalance. Like an imbalance between L and E on your power transformer.
Old 17th May 2012, 12:35 AM   #40
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
It is a bit more complicated than that. A single RC can't cause LF oscillation as it can only give 90 degrees of phase shift. The extra phase shift comes from the coupling caps as they have a time constant in the same ballpark as the 'CCS'.
OP said the motor boating was there even with the feedback disconnected, so I doubt it's a stability issue within the main feedback loop.

You're right about the 90 degrees phase shift of an RC, however. I just ran a sim of the input stage. My sim doesn't show signs of motor boating... Perhaps my thinking of earlier was incorrect. I've been proven wrong before...

I just happened to notice that just about every supply in the amp comes from a voltage doubler -- including the main B+ supply. I suggest monitoring all the supply voltages on an o'scope. I'm a little skeptical about pulling hundreds of mA from a voltage doubler, but I haven't worked that much with those. Of course, if all supplies are solid, the issue isn't with the supplies.

~Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!