Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Those Magnificent Television Tubes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2017, 11:47 PM   #861
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
This tube features a conventional control grid. There's a frame grid succedessor, though, the EF184/6EJ7 - same pinout, shorter envelope, much higher gm, lower noise figures. Both the EF80 and the EF184 were designed for IF strips in European TV sets. Their remote cutoff pendants are EF85/6BY7 and EF183/6EH7, respectively.

Best regards!
thank you...
Old 25th June 2017, 11:49 PM   #862
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The tube in question is a 36LW6
too bad i only have one, and the tube is really big plates..
Old 26th June 2017, 01:01 AM   #863
smoking-amp is online now smoking-amp  United States
diyAudio Member

I was expecting George to say 4D32 for the maximum Watts.
But not exactly a TV tube.
The high current capable 36LW6 probably fits his toroid OT best.
Old 26th June 2017, 01:07 AM   #864
diyAudio Moderator

i wonder what the 4d32 can really do in terms of power.....
Old 26th June 2017, 12:58 PM   #865
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was expecting George to say 4D32 for the maximum Watts.....i wonder what the 4d32 can really do in terms of power.....
I briefly explored the power limits of the 4D32 in the 6L6GC in AB2 thread. They are seen in post #654.

I did not consider them for this amp because I only have 6 of them and my amp will use at least 8 tubes plus spares. I have seen as much power flow from 35LR6's, and I haven't been there yet, but I believe that under the conditions that I will likely use, the 36LW6 will make more power based on it's peak cathode current capabilities. Physical size is also a factor.

The 4D32 made 200 watts on 650 volts into a 3300 ohm load. The power went to 250 watts when I changed the load to 2500 ohms, but the plate efficiency went down indicating more power being wasted in the tube. The optimum load seems to be in the 3300 ohm range, so more power could be found with more B+ voltage, but 650 volts is already over the published specs. Based on looks and the fact that this is an RF tube designed for Collins, those ratings are probably very conservative. My bench supply only goes to 650 volts, so that is the limits of my testing ability for now.....and above the ratings for my existing OPT's.

I have seen 525 watts flow through these OPT's with 4 X 35LR6 but they were at the edge of pale glow in a dark room after a minute or two. That may be OK since I don't plan to listen to 1 KW of continuous sine waves!

I have been talking about this for several years, but preliminary work on the project has started. I will start a new thread about it in the Tubes / Valves forum some time in the next few days.
Old 26th June 2017, 02:34 PM   #866
DIYBras is offline DIYBras  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default The microscope results

Since I promised, here is it:
The microscope is a toy type, but suceed to show grid wires
I need to touch the microscope lens (very close) for seeing the wires.
The 'scope manual says 200x magnification, but I don't believe.
Really are a VERY small gauge...
I put a HP old display-in-a-chip (what a waste of semiconductor surface...). It have a integral lens, and real chip size is less than 1x2mm. Note the very huge bond wires, in comparision to this tube (like smoking-amp said)
Most EPROM out here have also bond wires larger tha that.
Of course, modern IC probably have more fine bond wires
Attached Images
File Type: png E810F grades 4.png (553.8 KB, 214 views)
File Type: png E810F grades 5.png (483.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg E810F grades 6.jpg (89.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg E810F grades 7.jpg (80.7 KB, 203 views)
File Type: png Display antigo HP ac.png (290.4 KB, 210 views)
File Type: png Display antigo HP.png (950.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 26th June 2017, 06:48 PM   #867
hpeter is offline hpeter  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
Your photos are like Hg thyratrons on full blast
Old 27th June 2017, 11:23 AM   #868
211hojbjerg is offline 211hojbjerg  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi kay,
I have some EL3010, I think only TF made this pentode. I'll try it out as Pentode connected during the ETF this year.
In the original boxes you'll find almost unlimited warranty on this tube from TF.

best regards
Karsten
Old 27th June 2017, 04:28 PM   #869
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

How lucky you are! This valve, among others, has been made in a manageable amount of about 1.500 pc., therefore it is very scare and expensive - if one ever gets his hands on some of them.

I didn't want anybody here to destruct his valuable tubes, I've just been kidding .

The EL3010 is among the power tubes with the highest gm figures that I'm aware of.

Best regards!

Last edited by Kay Pirinha; 27th June 2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 28th June 2017, 12:53 AM   #870
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

While looking around on my hard drive for something else, I found the example that makes me distrust the entire lot of 35LR6's that I have. There are some good tubes in there but I would need to do an extreme test on each tube.

This one met the hammer. A good tube has a twist on the tabs at the top of the plate where it comes through the top mica. This keeps the mica from popping off. This tube had no such twist, and neither do most of the other tubes. I got 45 35LR6 tubes in a cardboard box at a hamfest and they were cheap. Perhaps these had been stress tested by UPS somewhere in their history.

You see some unusual characters at a hamfest, but Major Tom?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SylvaniaQuality_A.jpg (149.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg NASA_A.jpg (169.1 KB, 100 views)

Those Magnificent Television TubesHide this!Advertise here!