Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Those Magnificent Television Tubes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2018, 02:49 AM   #1001
smoking-amp is offline smoking-amp  United States
diyAudio Member

Yep, 6AR8 is another BDT. Can make it amplify too. It is a full differential stage.

Here is a little blurb on BDT tubes and the 7763 from Shea's "Amplifier Handbook".

And some pics of the back side of the 7763 tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_7763_pic3.jpg (92.9 KB, 567 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_7763_pic4.jpg (102.8 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg BDT_tube_Amplifiers.jpg (155.6 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg BDT_tubes_Amplifiers.jpg (147.6 KB, 545 views)
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:54 AM   #1002
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
the Tube Illuminati announces their best tube:
I am in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot from 2018-01-02 01-52-09.jpg (327.6 KB, 534 views)
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:20 AM   #1003
hpeter is offline hpeter  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

these 2nd emission thingies are catching attention, but not sure how to use it
Old 4th January 2018, 12:05 AM   #1004
diyAudio Member

Some specific tube #s?
I think I did see something about a micro-channel multiplier amplifier recently. Secondary emission amplification. (night vision goggles, Tek image intensifier in 7104 scope...)
Maybe something available on Epay?
Old 4th January 2018, 12:27 PM   #1005
DIYBras is offline DIYBras  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
my bad, guys, I (as a semi-young crowds) do not have boxes of tubes in my stash, neither I have decades of experience with "those magnificients". ..<snip>
For UL usage, is possible to make a output trafo with separated screen grid windings:
https://www.plitron.com/wp-content/u...5/2100SSCR.pdf
http://toroid.com.br/images/download...d15f79b91b.pdf
See #TL70147
This is my baby (I designed it when I worked for Toroid do Brasil)
(of course, the datasheet have some marketing words and -6dB only graphs, but works very good).
They are expensive, so brave people will construct one.
How to make on TL70147 I don't show (unfortunately), but I can say that screen winding must closely follow the primary winding traject (for "normal" UL tap).

BTW for sweep tubes the 40% UL probably will cutoff/overload the tube prematurely due to famous high g2 gain. So perhaps 20% will be good. Easier to make.

Quote:
Some specific tube #s?
I think I did see something about a micro-channel multiplier amplifier recently. Secondary emission amplification. (night vision goggles, Tek image intensifier in 7104 scope...)
Maybe something available on Epay?
Some years ago I found some russian vendors for these tubes by accident, in exploring all submenus and all products from seller. Some sellers don't identify correctly the name of tubes so is harder to find.
But I don't purchased any...

Photocathode Image intensifier tube V-8 EP33 night vision binocular goggle 1+gen | eBay
At least one found very easily.
Old 4th January 2018, 12:53 PM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yep, 6AR8 is another BDT. Can make it amplify too. It is a full differential stage.

Here is a little blurb on BDT tubes and the 7763 from Shea's "Amplifier Handbook".

And some pics of the back side of the 7763 tube.
it would be funny if that could be turned into ltp or phase splitter...
Old 4th January 2018, 01:11 PM   #1007
diyAudio Member

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/7/7360.pdf
higher sensitivity
Old 4th January 2018, 05:11 PM   #1008
diyAudio Member

Yes, 7360 was RCA's BDT. It got used for SSB in Ham radio designs. I have a small box of them. They were plentiful at one time, but have become scarce now. 6HW8 was Amperex's BDT, got a few of them. 6AR8 was Tungsol's BDT. 6JH8 was GE's BDT. 6ME8 another GE one. All of these are relatively plentiful, and all are similar to low Mu triodes over a CCS tail. I would say 6JH8 is the most practical one, and most plentiful, operates with deflectors at 0V DC.

No problem making them into a splitter. These also got used as voltage controlled gain controls (so remote control possible). These tubes can be easily configured to do analog multiplication too, using 3 of them in a tree configuration for highest accuracy. (they were used that way for SSB generation) They would have been the start of the next generation of tubes if SS had not come along. Many other related designs were in the research journals of the time. The beam deflection mechanism is a linear process (constant gm) as opposed to the 3/2 power process with conventional grids.

The available BDT tubes are not well suited to power stages, however, unless you have a lot of them. (I got a box of 330 6JH8s cheap during the sale days. A massive OTL? 6 Watts Pdiss per tube. Well a dozen tubes with an OT would be practical. Like two 36 Watt tubes.) Research BDT versions were approaching power capability in the journals. Since we have Twin/Crazy drive now, conventional Sweep tubes can fill that constant gm power role. Imagine a tube amp built -entirely- of linear gain devices.
The proverbial "wire with gain".

Last edited by smoking-amp; 4th January 2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 5th January 2018, 07:20 AM   #1009
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

In USSR miniature tubes with deflecting rods were used in military applications.

Click the image to open in full size.
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
Old 5th January 2018, 08:58 AM   #1010
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Are these really beam deflecting tubes or just small signal beam tetrodes, such as Raytheon's 5678?

Best regards!

Those Magnificent Television TubesHide this!Advertise here!