• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Driver for Telefunken RS242 in class A2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently aquired a pair of Telefunken RS 242 DHTs.I thought I would be able to built a simple 6sn7 driver,capacitor coupled and have my first attempt at a nice DHT amp.Unfortunately I didnt realize till after the fact that these tubes are going to draw some grid current if I am to get any decent power out of them.I am now a bit out of my league trying to come up with the best driver for these tubes.The 6sn7 sounded very good breadboarded with the RS242 as long as I kept levels low.I also breadboarded a pair of SV83(6bq5) as driver capacitively coupled to the DHTs which sounded good.I am hoping to get some suggestions on my best options to drive these nice tubes.I dont own any interstage transformers so was unable to breadboard with those.Is capacitive coupling out of the question with class A2?
My normal amp building is generally loosley based on other people's designs and now I am in unfamiliar territory as these RS242s are a bit uncommon.
Thanks in advance
Paul

Thanks for the suggestions.I will look further into that RL12P10.Ideally I would like to use some 1930s/1940s German tubes to drive the the RS242s instead of the typical tubes,but unfortunately my experience and familiarity lies with the more common audio tubes,but I am sure with a little guidance,I can come up with something special to drive these tubes.I don't read German,but am I to assume that RS282 in the schematic you linked runs A2?Driven by RL12P10?
Thanks
Paul

Hello
I thought I would give an update on the project and try to get a bit more help.
I have come up with a pretty nice sounding circuit using cheap(non gapped?) 1:1 transformers for coupling a 6sn7 to the power tube.I think I will persue the IT coupling method.Can anyone recommend an good transformer?I know the Lundahl is good but just a bit more than I want to spend at this point,unless I can be coaxed into it of course :).Any bargains out there with good quality?Vintage perhaps?
Also,I am considering a pair of Telefunken RL2T2 triodes for drivers and was hoping to get some opinions on that as driver,enclosed is the datasheet.
Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• RL2T2.pdf
    118.8 KB · Views: 200
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.