Help with power transformer identification - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2012, 08:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help with power transformer identification

Hello all on this great forum,

...after having typed miles of words and having lost them in the form of the forum asking for loggin when i was sure i was logged in i will go now for the short version

I am tring to fix after along time on the shelf my Guyatone GA 1000 head i remember that some smoke came out of th PT.

I have some spare PT all unknown and without identificaition but i remember this one coming from a guitar amp of same rating(100W) and tubes (4 6l6)

Leads coming from one sidea are soldi colors:

Blue
blue
yellow
yellow
black

form the other hole come out solid:

red
red
brown
brown
purple
black

Can some one help identify the wirings for this unkown POWER tranny? or at least some one can link me to a step by step or well explained tutorial for identifing the leads with a multimeter and or variac?

searched long time in the years info over the internet for the guyatone GA - 1000 head but cant find also any schematic on the web some one has a link or something?

will 3 47Mfd caps tied togheter on the negative pole work as replacement of the original 50+50+50 MFd ?

Thanks for reading and Cheers.

(the first 4 pics are of the replacement "unknown" transformer.. the latter one is of the old original PT of the head just for documentation )

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/PICT0813.jpg

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/PICT0812.jpg

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/PICT0811.jpg

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/PICT0814.jpg

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/PICT0815.jpg
Old 17th April 2012, 10:04 PM   #2
49 - for the 18th time - again!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubehead99 View Post
Hello all on this great forum,
...after having typed miles of words and having lost them in the form of the forum asking for loggin when i was sure i was logged in i will go now for the short version
I'm sorry that I can't help you with the xformer questions - but - this might be useful for future use.

When I'm banging out a loooooooooog message I type it up inna word processor 1st and then cut and paste it to the forum. That way I don't run into a "time out" issue with taking to long to post - which might have been the bug that bit you.

Good luck with your search - there are some around here that know a buncha stuff about transformers and I hope someone can help you out.
Old 17th April 2012, 10:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
I'm sorry that I can't help you with the xformer questions - but - this might be useful for future use.

When I'm banging out a loooooooooog message I type it up inna word processor 1st and then cut and paste it to the forum. That way I don't run into a "time out" issue with taking to long to post - which might have been the bug that bit you.

Good luck with your search - there are some around here that know a buncha stuff about transformers and I hope someone can help you out.
oh sure Man .. dont' mind it... that would never have been intended criticism.. it was just to say that i tried to be educated and present myself.. it was a fine message tho

thankyou for the hint and hope someone can point me someway for the PT.
Old 18th April 2012, 01:04 AM   #4
49 - for the 18th time - again!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubehead99 View Post
oh sure Man .. dont' mind it... that would never have been intended criticism..
Absolutely no criticism intended - I learned that lesson for myself the hard way!!!!

Simply sharing a little trick I found along the way in order to be a bit helpful.....
Old 18th April 2012, 05:19 AM   #5
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

with your dmm set to read ohms,

make a list of which wire color go with what other color, record the resistance while you are at it.....

draw a temporary coil diagram showing resistances....

get an ac voltage source of say 6volts and feed that voltage to the coils that measures 0ohms on your dmm....

you can then determine the other voltages in your traffo....

be very carefull when you do this.....

Hide this!Advertise here!