• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6-8x el84 Per channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Choose any circuit, including such for a 2 tubes, and multiply currents by the quantity you want, and divide the output impedance from the transformer for a same amount. Finally, add some low value resistors (10R) between plates, screens, and grids. And if you will use cathode bias, divide the ohmic value for them by the amount, and the power increased similarly. If they are operated without grid positive current, the driver no need modifications at all, nor the NFB if it exists.

What's cool about EL84's is that they are so easy to drive, even compared to EL34's. A push-pull-parallel EL84 amp could make 25 watts per channel and only require 11 volts peak to the EL84 grids to get there. Come to think of it, SY's ImPasse would make a good driver for that... No?

2 X EL84 almost equivalent to EL34. If you need more power than a pair of EL84 can deliver, pair of EL34 usually is the way to go, unless you have size restrictions.

I believe that 2 * 2 * EL84 needs more load impedance than 2 * EL34. EL34 needs about 3K and single push pull el84 needs about 11K, so 2 pairs need about 5-6Kohm for proper working. I´m remembering, so I may be wrong.:confused:

A push-pull-parallel EL84 amp could make 25 watts per channel......single push pull el84 needs about 11K, so 2 pairs need about 5-6Kohm for proper working

I make a board using EL84's called the Simple P-P. It uses a 6600 to 8000 ohm load for 15 to 25 WPC from a pair of tubes. To get 25 WPC you need good tubes and a B+ that is over spec. I have used NOS Sylvania 6BQ5 or JJ EL84 at 430 volts plate and 320 screen for 30 WPC with a 6600 ohm load.

I simply wired two channels in parallel through a common OPT for 60 WPC from 4 JJ EL84's with a 3300 ohm load and 430 volts B+.

Don't try this with wimpy tubes!

It is very good idea. Except EL84 tubes have to be carefully selected to match each other on all swing of signal.

Tube matching is a good idea for any design where multiple tubes are paralleled, and usually required unless individual bias adjustments are used.

I believe that 2 * 2 * EL84 needs more load impedance than 2 * EL34. EL34 needs about 3K and single push pull el84 needs about 11K, so 2 pairs need about 5-6Kohm for proper working. I´m remembering, so I may be wrong.:confused:

I have been using a pair of EL84's in PP UL config on 8k pri. without any problems, a PPP config should be able to work nicely with 4k pri.

@TS:
Do you already have transformers for your project? If so, could you post the specifications of these transformers?

430 volts is too much? Check out the Music Reference RM-10 amp. They claim to get 35WPC from a pair of EL84's by using 700 Volts on the plates and a 11000 ohm load! They also claim a 10000 hour tube life. 700 Volts? Even I haven't gone that far.....yet.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tube...hifi-amp.html?highlight=Music+Reference+RM-10

References to the 700 volt supply are no longer mentioned on the companies web site.

430 volts is too much? Check out the Music Reference RM-10 amp. They claim to get 35WPC from a pair of EL84's by using 700 Volts on the plates and a 11000 ohm load

Jeez, with the experiences I've had with most Russian EL84s, that should be a good testbed for some interesting explosions!

--

BTW, if the classic Dyna OPT's are any indication, 8k primary was used for a pair of EL84s in the Z565, while the A470 primary presents a 4.3k load to a pair of EL34s. So an A470 should work fine for a quad (PP-parallel) of EL84s, no?

--

PS: This amplifier will be used for hifi.

Would it be possible for you to provide some more information?

eg:
- What is the exact assignment that you have received from your school?
- Why do you need to run 6 or 8 EL84's per channel, why not a pair of 6550's?
- Do you have any building experience with high voltage projects?
- How should the output stage be connected to the output transformers (triode, pentode or UL)?
- What parts do you already have to your availability?
- Are you planning on hardwiring the amp or use a PCB?
etc...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.