K-12M extra caps??
Woo! First post on DiyAudio! I have built my first amp, the K-12M! I completed the typical upgrades (snubbers, changing coupling caps, going to put in UF4007 diodes)
I know there are bajillion threads on the K-12M amp, but I don't think anyone has addressed this idea...
In another thread someone posted as a mod to the K-12m:
"The unused pads are most likely meant for bypass caps for the common cathode resistors (R8 and R17) for the push-pull pairs.
Adding a pair of 50uf 25V caps will improve the bass response, although some people might cringe with the mere thought of adding an electrolytic cap into the signal path."
(Page 7) http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes...t-139-a-8.html
Can anybody back this guy up? Or disprove him? I can't see anything wrong with doing this. I want to try it and see for my self if anything changes, I just don't want to blow anything up. I don't know much about circuits though, I'm new to this. Does anybody think this is safe? worthwhile? silly?
Thanks for any info,
Hi Jeff, just watch the polarity of the electrolyte caps and everything will be fine, you won't blow anything up. The caps you mention are necessary to restore the full gain due to the cathode bias resistor. Both will form a low pass filter, so, yeah, you are right it will improve
Hope this will help you.
A cap here won't make much difference to frequency response, as the signals from the two output valves are antiphase. It might affect distortion (either way) as it will reduce the second-order products at the cathode (which are in-phase).
That is a common place to put a capacitor on a cathode bias amplifier. In my experience, it dose indeed help.
Anything 47uF - 1000uF 25V-50V will work here for this purpose. So you can almost use what ever you may have on hand to try it for your self. Just make sure you make sure the + side of the capacitor is connected to the tube's cathode pin and the - side is connected to the ground.
I modified some weeks ago my Cary SLM-100 (old design), who had an auto bias with an 150E & 220u electrolytic cap (4 * KT88 on a single mono block ~ 280mA idle current), to a fixed bias using some trim-pots.
The sound change immediate to a clear & defined sound stage. OK you may argue the cap was about 20 years old. Could be, but having electrolytic cap's in a signal path this should be avoided at all!
This was my learning session on tube amps.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 04:40 PM.|
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio