6n15n-EB confusion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2012, 07:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6n15n-EB confusion

Hello to all, I have a Hughes & Kettner 25th Anniversary guitar amp that came stock with 6n15n-EB tubes and one has a crack in the glass and it still functions but I don't trust it. I bought the amp used from the original owner and it is like new and it has never been apart so it must've come this way from the factory. I understand that these are not EL84 tubes yet H&K says the amp has EL84's. I called H&K to get a replacement and they said to use any EL84 tubes. Terrible customer support lacking any details. They rarely answer email. The earlier versions of this amp both had EL84's in them. I don't know why they used these 6n15n-EB tubes instead of regular EL84's but they do brag about them in their advertisements as hand picked military top drawer tubes, and they do seem to sound pretty good. I would however like to try some EL84's like JJ Teslas to compare the sound but I'm not sure if standard ones can handle the 400V plate voltage that I've read this has. It seems that most standard EL84 tubes can only handle 300V max. I can't find any spec's on the 6n15n tubes to see if they are rated higher than 300V and I don't know what type EL84 tubes the earlier version amps came with. I'd like to know if I can go with standard EL84's or if I have to limit myself to the small amount of higher voltage ones available, or should I just stay with the 6N15N-EB type even though they seem to be difficult to find and maybe not as desirable as EL84's for guitar tone. Thanks for any input.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

6P15P-EV is not a god EL84 substitution. The closest replacement for EL84 is 6P14P, or 6P14P-EV. 6P15P-EV seems to be a replacement for EL83, wich has a lower anode dissipation. http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/113/6/6P14P.pdf http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/113/6/6P15P.pdf

Last edited by Blaireau; 12th April 2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Missing links
Old 12th April 2012, 10:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Clemford,

please have a look at this thread also!

Best regards!
Old 12th April 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaireau View Post
6P15P-EV is not a god EL84 substitution. The closest replacement for EL84 is 6P14P, or 6P14P-EV. 6P15P-EV seems to be a replacement for EL83, wich has a lower anode dissipation. http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/113/6/6P14P.pdf http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/113/6/6P15P.pdf

That's what's confusing me about this amp. It came with the 6n15n's yet H&K lists them as EL84's and says to use any EL84 tube as a substitute. I'll have to open it up and see if it's wired for a SV83 but I think they just put it in there in place of the EL84. Maybe the Germans are daring.
Old 12th April 2012, 06:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
Hi Clemford,

please have a look at this thread also!

Best regards!
Thanks Kay, I'll check that out.
Old 12th April 2012, 07:02 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

An EL84 can be a sub for 6n15p (SV-83), but not always the other way around as it is not as robust.

dave
Old 12th April 2012, 07:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
An EL84 can be a sub for 6n15p (SV-83), but not always the other way around as it is not as robust.

dave
As far as I know this amp is the same exact design as the older versions that came with EL84's. There's no schematics on these so the only way to know would be to trace it out I guess. It's a major pain to open this amp up. 15 screws to change a tube.
Old 12th April 2012, 08:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Svetlana once published a technical bulletin claiming exactly the opposite.

Best regards!
Old 12th April 2012, 09:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
Svetlana once published a technical bulletin claiming exactly the opposite.

Best regards!
thats good info. I guess the only way to know is to take it apart and trace it out. Too bad H&K just couldn't be straight forward with me. They won't even answer my question of whether this amp needs higher voltage EL84's like an M. I can't even find out what the earlier versions came with stock. It's one of those mystery amps I guess.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Clemford,

A couple of minutes inside the amp with a multimeter will tell you what the voltages are etc.

jeff

Hide this!Advertise here!