Snubbers on Power Transformer Secondaries - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
If you want "agreement" on technical issues then you either need to find a forum where everyone thinks alike (but this does not guarantee truth) or be able to filter out those who don't understand the problem and then take a consensus from those remaining.
I didn't say I "wanted" agreement, I said there doesn't appear to be any in this case. Of course it would be nice if there was one sure answer, but like many other topics in life that doesn't seem to be the case here.

My interpretation of the consensus in this case is that one snubber across the entire secondary is adequate, and one across each half to CT may be a little better; perhaps a case of diminishing returns. Being somewhat obsessive, and given the low cost of the parts involved, I think I'll try the latter.

Thanks to all!
Old 12th April 2012, 01:19 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magz View Post
My interpretation of the consensus in this case is that one snubber across the entire secondary is adequate, and one across each half to CT may be a little better; perhaps a case of diminishing returns. Being somewhat obsessive, and given the low cost of the parts involved, I think I'll try the latter.

Thanks to all!
In a regenerative receiver I made, I put a snubber across entirely secondary winding of 1K and .15uF on a 170 + 170V to the plates of a 6X4. Placing across all secondary you are snubbering all leakage inductance. As DF96 tells, there are magnetically coupled, but not only inductive, also capacitivelly, and the linkage is not 100%, so there exists a leakgae between secondaries itself.

Hide this!Advertise here!