Determing the reason for mystery? cap in schematic. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2012, 08:34 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibliophile View Post
If you have a multimeter, measure between control grid an ground.
Normally you will see 0 Volts. If it is even a little positive, you could have a leaky coupling cap from the driver. What sort of caps did you use ?
OS Sprague Wax Caps, same voltage rating rating and value, but I guess there`s always a chance one of them is not quite up to snuff.

Excuse my inexperience but which pin is the control grid...

Last edited by devilsindetails; 10th April 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10th April 2012, 08:37 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Waxed paper caps were notorious in the past for developing leakage as they aged. Some will disagree but I would use polyester. Control grid is pin 2.

Last edited by Bibliophile; 10th April 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10th April 2012, 08:42 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Waxed paper caps were notorious in the past for developing leakage as they aged. Some will disagree but I would use polyester.
Point well taken...I should be utilizing known good caps...however I used what I had on hand and superficially looked A-OK...how far above the original Uf value can I use safely...I`ve been told no more than 10%...I know I can use higher voltage rated caps (just not lower).
Old 10th April 2012, 08:45 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks on the control grid pin...I had looked at pin-out for the EL84 and noticed that it showed g1 and g2.
Old 10th April 2012, 08:49 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Depends on the value of the capacitor and the resistor between control grid and ground or more precisely the time constant of the two. To high on either one can lead to an effect called grid blocking or blocking distortion.
See an explanation here: Blocking Distortion
G2 is called screen grid.
I'm going off line now so I can't respond to any more questions until tomorrow but there are plenty of more qualified people than I here who can help you out.
Cheers for now.

Last edited by Bibliophile; 10th April 2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10th April 2012, 08:55 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Depends on the value of the capacitor and the resistor between control grid and ground or more precisely the time constant of the two. To high on either one can lead to an effect called grid blocking or blocking distortion.
See an explanation here: Blocking Distortion
G2 is called screen grid.
OK..thanks so much for your time and courtesy Bibliophile...I can see I have my reading cut out for me...I`think I`ll stick with exact values for the caps for now but ensure they are known good and will try the poly`s as I`ve heard good things about them....Leon
Old 12th April 2012, 12:05 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the kind words.
I will be away for several days.
Cheers
Old 12th April 2012, 10:55 AM   #18
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

The capacitor ringed in green is for 'tone correction' i.e. HF rolloff. Very common in old radio circuits, as people in the 1950s were not used to hearing much treble. In effect, it lowers the OPT HF resonance frequency. In essence, you have a pair of radio receiver audio stages.
Old 12th April 2012, 01:47 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
The capacitor ringed in green is for 'tone correction' i.e. HF rolloff. Very common in old radio circuits, as people in the 1950s were not used to hearing much treble. In effect, it lowers the OPT HF resonance frequency. In essence, you have a pair of radio receiver audio stages.
Thanks for the input DF...now as this amplifier had a separate pre-amp/radio chassis with treble and bass pots (which I simply removed from the equation) would I be better advised to remove this particular capacitor to restore (raise) OPT HF resonance?

I intend to use this amplifier with only a volume pot and no frequency compensation.
Old 12th April 2012, 06:31 PM   #20
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Probably best to experiment. Treat the capacitor as a fixed treble tone control.

Hide this!Advertise here!