• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Just tried a Wire Wound pot for volume.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I have just replaced an old scratchy 100K Alps RK27 pot with a 15K wire wound pot in my preamp. I had read about the possibility of using WW pots for volume controls on these boards but had been apprehensive about the potential inductive qualities. Still I thought I had little to lose by a little experiment so I dropped it in.
Amazing a real transformation in clarity across the whole frequency range, all fears of inductive roll off were obviously unfounded. The only obvious pain is the linear tapper which I can do little about. I put a 8K2 resistor on top of the pot to improve the adjustment range and that helped a lot.

I am currently dragging the parts together for a balanced input transformer coupled 5687 preamp with Output transformer. This is hopefully going to be a zero capacitor job and I expect it to be very transparent so I believe I will go ahead and use a wire wound pot for the volume control. The only issue I have is tracking down a quad gang wire wound pot - preferably multiturn.

Shoog

The only obvious pain is the linear tapper which I can do little about.

Shoog

Nice one Shoog.
I am a newb so I know little but I was going to ask if you could explain the above problem? Is it that you have to wind up the dial more to get volume or less?

The reason I chimed in here is because a mate has some crazy ceramic ww pots in his junk pile. A single gang 10inch which weighs about 10kg and a smaller 4inch dual gang which I thought (Newb Thoughts) could possibly be used in a passive pre amp?

The problem with a linear taper is that the adjustment range is to small at low volumes -but by placing a resistor before the pot of about equal value to the pot, the effective adjustment range is much improved - but at the cost of losing half of your signal. In my case this is not a problem since I never got the volume control past half way previously and so half of the available signal voltage was never utilized anyway.

As to your friends pots - the dual gang sounds interesting especially if it is a multiturn pot. Another board member reported good results from a 10turn pot in a passive preamp.

Shoog

In a balanced line amp, I've read in various places (including M. Jones) that you don't want to use a ganged pot for adjusting volume, because any imbalance between resistive elements will knock your balanced signal out of balance. Instead, it's recommended to use two series resistors and a single pot with the resistive element between the + and - signals. Like in this picture:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's discussed in MJ's "Valve Amplifiers" Fig. 7.10, page 512-513.

Is there a reason not to use this setup?

--

BTW, it seems wirewound resistors are more useful for audio than once thought. Now I'm dying to try a wirewound pot as a vol ctrl...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.