• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

LED's in the cathode..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe it degrades audio quality adding semiconductor alinearities and destroying tube sound. Also, I strongly dislikes mixing tubes and semiconductors in a set. Bit it is only personal taste.

I agree completely, ANY semiconductor in a tube circuit/PSU will kill the sound. I tried semiconductors in the PSU, cathode, anode etc. Don't do it. I know there are some "gurus" out there telling us "no, no, you will not hear any semiconductor nastiness with my CCS" oh please...

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've been using LED bias with good results, but was wondering if NFB could be added there as it is with resistors. Apparently it can be, reading posts 62 & 63.

So if one wanted to add NFB at the cathode as shown in Fig. 1 (classic), it can be done as shown in Fig. 2, right? Just use a low value resistor below the LED.
(Yes, I left out a few parts)

Attachments

• RES-BIAS.png
    RES-BIAS.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 262
  • LED-BIAS.png
    LED-BIAS.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 259
Has anyone ever set up a concertina / split load phase inverter with LED bias?

With a 300v B+ I'm planning to use a 6CG7 with 22k at anode. Grid has 470k coming off it that joins the bottom of a string of 3 red LED's under the cathode, followed by the second 22k to ground. The 2 signal feeds to the output tubes comes from anode and from below the 3 LED's respectively.

Any of the LED users see a reason as to why this won't work?

One of these days I need to quit building speakers and finish my RLD. It is a modified Meng P61, which is no longer a P61 anyway. I keep meaning to build some really efficient speakers but my brief adventures with full range drivers sent me back to traditional inefficient multi-way speakers totally unsuitable for a 7 W amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.