• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

LED's in the cathode..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you put a LED in the cathode of a simple triode or pentode CCS you are multiplying up the dynamic resistance of the LED by the mu. Not very impressive results will follow.

I made that mistake once. As in all things, its horses for courses and a LED is not a universally appropriate solution.

Shoog

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
If you put a LED in the cathode of a simple triode or pentode CCS you are multiplying up the dynamic resistance of the LED by the mu. Not very impressive results will follow.

I made that mistake once. As in all things, its horses for courses and a LED is not a universally appropriate solution.

Shoog

What did you use to replace the LED? Or was it just back to resistors?
IE did you find any world beating replacement..

Regards
M. Gregg

Just a resistor. You can make quite a stiff little CCSink by using a resistor chain from +B to ground with the grid reference taken at any point between (typically 10-20V), which allows you to place a substantially larger cathode resistor in the triode tail with a substantial increase in plate resistance resulting.

This was an Allen Wright trick.

Shoog

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
OK,

I'll keep it in mind..I must admit that they seem work well with a FET MU stage.. :)

I'm trying to think how to compare the change in sound to other mods..

I think those that say they don't want Sand...Forget LED's were not avilable in the valve era..and I am sure they would have used them if they had..
Then again Telequipment scopes used sand under tubes to alter the gain of the channels..

Thank's for the heads up!

Regards
M. Gregg

Be aware that replacing the cap / resistor combo with LED's (or zeners, or other constant voltage circuits) essentially converts a cathode biased circuit to fixed bias. The grid resistors must be sized accordingly to avoid grid current induced runaway.

Hi George,
Would a Gyrator not help here with the induced runaway as the anode voltage will be fixed by it? :confused:

Thanks
Ale

Disabled Account
Joined 2010

Shoog

Spot on,

Shoog, I have now experienced exactly what you have found...LOL

Yes its not so obvious...and very subtle...horses for courses.. :)

Regards
M. Gregg

Since current sources are composed of non-linear devices, how could their output be linear (over a large enough current range)?

Sim some current sources and look at the differences in distortion. It is quite revealing. You might also try varying the source voltage driving them to see how it effects distortion.

Or for those of you who don't believe in sims because they are only approximations, build several current sources and measure the distortion.

Because the use of LED's in other situations is inappropriate and it would be easy to go away from this thread thinking that they are the solution to everything. If nothing else this CCS aside will have given beginners pause for thought when they "imagine" that LED's can work everywhere.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.