Dr. Arthur Loesch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2012, 02:57 AM   #1
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Default Dr. Arthur Loesch

Thought it best to put this here, since Art was known as a tube guy...

Many of you know the name.

Arthur passed away on Thursday after "battling" cancer.
He had beaten it back twice in the last decade or more.

Not this time.

Arthur made a significant contribution to the renaissance of DHT triode-ism.
Always very enthusiastic about everything he ever did in audio.
Art was something of a "Johnny Appleseed" for these things.

In addition, Arthur was a long time mentor to both JC Morrison and Herb Reichert.
Both key players in what is sometimes termed the "NYC Audio Mafia"... among other things.

Arthur along with a few other local characters up this way, Bob Cummings and Jon Baier,
along with Phil Fisher were into some pretty neat things very early on. The trip up to Bob and
Art's place was featured in an early Sound Practices. You know, that thing put out by our own
Joe Roberts. When that was written they had already been experimenting with DHTs for a decade
or so, more for Bob Cummings...

One of the outcomes of that friendship was a phono preamp.
That phono preamp became rather well known.
Others made variants of it, including Thorsten Loesch (no relation) and Allen Wright.
Art was a professor of Atmospheric Sciences at Albany's SUNY campus, and as such
had no real interest in commercializing anything he did. So that design and others got
shared with the world. Later Joe Levy forged a relationship with Arthur, and Arthur
provided the engineering and Joe made product. Before that another local fellow named
John Weisner built a short run of hand made Loesch preamps... for Art. Don't recall if
Joe was involved with that or not.

When I started the Catskill & Adirondack Audio Society, Bob Cummings and Arthur, along with
Phil Fisher (he was a very interesting fellow too) were among the very first members. Joe Levy
too came in pretty early on...

We had a really great local ham, W2HVM (sk), "High Voltage Mary" who had a basement full of
mayonnaise jars and pickle jars filled with surplus parts. You could go over to his place on certain
days and walk through the shelves, pick out parts and chew the fat with HVM or his cousin. Both
were "old timers" and this was back in the 80's. He always told me about this fellow who was big
into "hi-fi" but for reasons that were never ever clear, he refused to identify him. That was Art Loesh,
it later turned out.

I forget how I found Art, it may have been as the result of someone who noticed my little ad in the
back of Audio Amateur who joined the club, or through one of the two local "hi-fi" shops here.
I think one of them let me put a little sign up for a while...

One of the things about Art was that whatever was hot on his plate was "the best" for sure,
and he was not just enthusiastic about it he was pretty darn insistent as well. Sometimes that
was good, sometimes not as good... he was "the professor".

One of the few times I was able to meet Herb in his "natural habitat" I went down there with Art
and I forget who else to the Staten Island "firehouse". The second or third floor of an old NYC
Firehouse, open plan... Herb had his A7 bottoms, and newly acquired Tractrix horns from Bruce
Edgar. Also there were JC and Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg, Art, myself, Bruce Edgar, and a few
others whose faces escape me at the moment.

Art was also present and prominent at JC's famous "New York Noise" affairs, both in Hoboken
and in NYC... pix are still up on EnjoyTheMusic...

Art built and tried a TON of stuff, circuits and parts, speakers... he also loved to go to shows with
an entourage of sorts. The Montreal show was one he liked to go to for a long time, and he often
went up there with Vern, Pern, and Pablo, maybe Joe went too (dunno), all local audio personalities.

Actually, tales of Arthur could go on for a long time, and they would be good to be told in more
detail. He was quite a personality on the scene both locally and nationally, and even internationally.

_-_-bear
Old 9th April 2012, 03:14 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I was privileged to know Arthur for a relatively short number of years, and will really miss him. He was a regular visitor here and in Newburyport, and I spent time in NY with him as well. (Audio get togethers) Arthur was very generous with his time and knowledge as well as being quite gracious and thoroughly entertaining. His interests spanned a very wide range. A great loss to humanity, not to mention the audio world.
Old 9th April 2012, 03:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default R.I.P.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Loesch once and I was impressed by his enthusiasm for audio. Sad day for the DIY community.

Dr. Arthur Z. Loesch's Obituary, Albany

Old 9th April 2012, 04:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

R.I.P.
Old 9th April 2012, 04:07 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

ANother giant passes

dave
Old 9th April 2012, 04:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the great anecdotes Bear...never met the man, but in the late 70s as a very young man met Paul Voight in Ottawa Canada and remember him mentioning Art Loesch's name with great enthusiasm and respect. Like Paul, who died in near anonymity despite his groundbreaking Horn work and design, Mr. Loesch's loss is our loss. RIP
Old 9th April 2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Ejam is offline Ejam  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Arthur You Will Be Missed

My first contact with Arthur was some 20 years ago after speaking with Joe Roberts and JC about phono preamps. They both spoke of his work in glowing tones. Arthur was always eager to give advice and share his thoughts and designs on the many occasions that we corresponded. I especially loved his use of alternative ideas to design such as: battery grid bias, split equalisation, novel tube types, volume control after the line stage. All been done before, but Arthur managed to combine the lot and produce a seminal preamp. A fitting legacy for a great in the diy audio community.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I just hope that he and Gizmo are laughing together now

let them glow , in their name ......
Old 9th April 2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Gluca is offline Gluca  Italy
diyAudio Member

goodspeed you Art!
Old 10th April 2012, 01:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

RIP Arthur!