• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6111/6n16b - linestage noise problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An update to the original problem posted - I've found the source of the buzzing/humming. Very, very odd, never come across anything like it:

I disconnected the AC 35v transformer, so that only the filament 6.3v AC was connected. Lo and behold - the exact same buzzing was there! Then I disconnected the 6.3v AC transformer and used a 6v DC wall wart (plug pack) - identical buzzing.

After this, I changed the 6v dc wall wart (plugpack) for a sealed lead acid battery (6v dc) - no buzzing whatsoever!

What on earth could cause this?

Last edited:
What could cause this is your filament circuit somehow being connected (or shorted) to the stage's output. But this doesn't explain your claim of 440Hz. Your filament is at line frequency.

Is this occurring on both right and left channels?

I recommend that you do a lot of reading and see about getting some test equipment. Without more understanding and tools, you will find building and sorting electronics quite frustrating.

What could cause this is your filament circuit somehow being connected (or shorted) to the stage's output. But this doesn't explain your claim of 440Hz. Your filament is at line frequency.

Is this occurring on both right and left channels?

Yes - happening on both channels, there's between 10mV and 20mV of dc at the output of the rca jacks. The buzzing also ceased when I test the dc offset with my multimeter.

The 440Hz was just a guess at the frequency - middle C was the best reference point for me.

What is the best way of testing where the shorting is occurring? Why would the buzzing disappear with a battery filament supply?

An update to the original problem posted - I've found the source of the buzzing/humming. Very, very odd, never come across anything like it:

I disconnected the AC 35v transformer, so that only the filament 6.3v AC was connected. Lo and behold - the exact same buzzing was there! Then I disconnected the 6.3v AC transformer and used a 6v DC wall wart (plug pack) - identical buzzing.

After this, I changed the 6v dc wall wart (plugpack) for a sealed lead acid battery (6v dc) - no buzzing whatsoever!

What on earth could cause this?

research hum balancing circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.