Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2012, 06:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube Preamp turn on circuit

I have built an Aikido amp (12BH7 output). I use a 555 timer to turn on the fiiments first followed by B+ ~30 sec later, and then connect the power amp after another 5 sec automatically.

Question: Can I short the output of the preamp until I finally connect the power amp (~5 sec with B+ applied)? This helps with the thump, but I don't want to do any damage.
Old 7th April 2012, 09:43 PM   #2
zkri is online now zkri  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdelf View Post
Question: Can I short the output of the preamp until I finally connect the power amp (~5 sec with B+ applied)? This helps with the thump, but I don't want to do any damage.
Yes, you can. Make it 10-15 sec.
Old 8th April 2012, 04:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you. I'm a yube newbie.
Old 8th April 2012, 10:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

All of my Aikido's power up with the filaments and B+ at the same time.

If you allow the line stage to warm up and then turn on the power amp there will be no thud. I have used my Aikido's with both SS amps and tube amps. I have no thud period. There is NO need to power up the filaments and delay the B+ at all. There is not going to be any cathode stripping to worry about so why make it any more complex than necessary.
Old 8th April 2012, 11:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Cathode stripping..... There is a fraternity that believes that this can happen. But this is usually only a problem in High Power amps.

It is contraversial and I don't want to get into an argument in this guys thread.

Valve longetivity can be helped along by slowly applying the heater current.

When do your light bulbs blow - when you first turn them on normally.

We went overboard on this one but it was only an experiment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Borbelly PSU.jpg (473.0 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by KatieandDad; 8th April 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 8th April 2012, 09:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Not really trying to argue but is it really necessary to go to the trouble of making the circuit to possibly add a few hours to the life of a $5 tube.

Cathode stripping..... There is a fraternity that believes that this can happen.

Given the right circumstances it can happen. But not with the circuit in the Aikido with the plates voltages it runs on.
Old 10th June 2012, 12:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default New issue

This is a 9-pin dual mono. I'm using a 2.2 uF output cap and driving two power amps in parallell (about 100K each, and a subwoofer crossover (~75 Kohm)). Recently I disconnected the sub, and the protection circuits on the main amps went off. I hooked the preamp up to a scope and observed some faitly random, but smooth subsonic noise whith rare peaks (~0.1 v, usually around 20 mv). I am currently using PS1 from glassware with a choke. I look at the input to the grid in the PSR circit and I see sharp spikes where the largest swings take place but not following the smoot nature of the noise. Qestions:
1) Is this a power supply issue?
2) should I go to a regulated B+?
3) Have I just used too large of a coupling cap?
4) Should I increase the size of C6 in the PSR leg?
4) Has anyone seen this before?

Hide this!Advertise here!