SE GM-70 for 700-800 euro? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2012, 06:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SE GM-70 for 700-800 euro?

As the title say ... do the diy community belive that is possible ? iam gonna build a tube amplifier for a school project problem is my budget is limited to around 700-800 euro. Yes iam aware ``schoolproject and about 1kv anode voltage´´ maybe dosnt sound to good but i am aware of the dangers and iam surrounded by teachers who has worked on swedish electricgrids (up to 400kv) anyway .. do you think a gm70 amp is possible at that budget or should i look at something else ? if not a gm70 amp iam most likely looking at a kt88/el34 PushPull amp.

Sry for the bad english hope you get what iam getting at ^^
x3me00
Old 7th April 2012, 08:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
One more idea: build such tube, put class D amp in it's base, and anjoy.

Mullard EL34 MONSTER vintage brown base amplifier vacuum valve tube - YouTube
Old 9th April 2012, 12:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Most likely you won't be able to build a decent GM-70 amp with that amount of money. I've just completed a pair of KT-88 monoblocks, and the parts for those alone was somewhere around 800 euros. The higher voltage needed for tubes like the GM-70 alone stretches the budget upwards.

I'd be on the look for a good EL-34 amp. Another project I just completed was an EL-34 single ended, and it sounds quite good. Could be built for around 400-500 euros using parts from scandinavian suppliers. Of course, power output is quite low at around 5 watts maximum, but with sufficiently efficient speakers it's surprisingly ample power.
Old 9th April 2012, 02:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hello
I'm collecting the parts for GM70 (I can say I have everything just need a set of good iron).
If you serious to achieve a sound level to satisfy you you need that money almost on a set acceptable quality IRONS + choke.
You can buy cheap iron from Eastern Electric (Epay) but my question why to waste money energy to build something will (99%) sound worst like a good Gain clone?
There are projects where you can save here and there but on the end you end up better to buy a commercial amp which you like(listen before you buy) and you do not waste your time and energy.
I spent close to that amount for chokes PS capacitors, tubes, tube sockets, wires so on.
Greetings Gabor
Old 9th April 2012, 03:19 AM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I think I spent something on the order of 1500 euros even having a fair number of parts on hand along with some suitable parts donations to build my own GM70 design.
Old 9th April 2012, 02:33 PM   #6
ratbagp is offline ratbagp  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm curious why you chose a GM-70. Certainly it will look impressive with all the light but if this is your first amp it's going to be a difficult build.

Do you have a schematic in mind?

ray
Old 9th April 2012, 08:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Allright guys i guess ill skip that idea then, reason i chose gm-70 was it seemd to be the cheepest high power triode and from what i read its easy to drive (only need 1 tube to drive) ... i did not have a schematic in mind. Ive built 3 tube preamps before (1 with phono stage) and then another phonostage and a few diffrent power supplies for these ( some tube regulated and some silicon regulated) but it would be my first power amp project, but my basic electrics teacher has also been in the repairing hifi and studio equipment for 40 years now so if i need help i got that. But since the budget is to small iam gonna look at some other sulutions. (pp amps with cheeper iron)
Old 10th April 2012, 12:13 PM   #8
ratbagp is offline ratbagp  United States
diyAudio Member

Since you are from Sweden, the home of Ikea, you might be interested in the results of a competition our group held a couple of years ago to build an amp for under $200 and put it in a product from Ikea.

Audio ratbag: Bottleneck 6V6 Competition

Scroll down the page to see photos.

ray

Hide this!Advertise here!