• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE GM-70 for 700-800 euro?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As the title say ... do the diy community belive that is possible ? iam gonna build a tube amplifier for a school project problem is my budget is limited to around 700-800 euro. Yes iam aware ``schoolproject and about 1kv anode voltage´´ maybe dosnt sound to good but i am aware of the dangers and iam surrounded by teachers who has worked on swedish electricgrids (up to 400kv) anyway .. do you think a gm70 amp is possible at that budget or should i look at something else ? if not a gm70 amp iam most likely looking at a kt88/el34 PushPull amp.

Sry for the bad english hope you get what iam getting at ^^
x3me00

Most likely you won't be able to build a decent GM-70 amp with that amount of money. I've just completed a pair of KT-88 monoblocks, and the parts for those alone was somewhere around 800 euros. The higher voltage needed for tubes like the GM-70 alone stretches the budget upwards.

I'd be on the look for a good EL-34 amp. Another project I just completed was an EL-34 single ended, and it sounds quite good. Could be built for around 400-500 euros using parts from scandinavian suppliers. Of course, power output is quite low at around 5 watts maximum, but with sufficiently efficient speakers it's surprisingly ample power.

Hello
I'm collecting the parts for GM70 (I can say I have everything just need a set of good iron).
If you serious to achieve a sound level to satisfy you you need that money almost on a set acceptable quality IRONS + choke.
You can buy cheap iron from Eastern Electric (Epay) but my question why to waste money energy to build something will (99%) sound worst like a good Gain clone?
There are projects where you can save here and there but on the end you end up better to buy a commercial amp which you like(listen before you buy) and you do not waste your time and energy.
I spent close to that amount for chokes PS capacitors, tubes, tube sockets, wires so on.
Greetings Gabor

Allright guys i guess ill skip that idea then, reason i chose gm-70 was it seemd to be the cheepest high power triode and from what i read its easy to drive (only need 1 tube to drive) ... i did not have a schematic in mind. Ive built 3 tube preamps before (1 with phono stage) and then another phonostage and a few diffrent power supplies for these ( some tube regulated and some silicon regulated) but it would be my first power amp project, but my basic electrics teacher has also been in the repairing hifi and studio equipment for 40 years now so if i need help i got that. But since the budget is to small iam gonna look at some other sulutions. (pp amps with cheeper iron)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.