• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

filter cap markings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im performing a cap job on an oldteisco amp. The old chassis mounted caps have lugs marked a and b. The new jj caps have + and - markings.
Im guessing a is the positive side? It makes sense according to the wiring. Between thectwo original caps, there is a jumper wire from an a lug to a b lug? Is this a normal setup?
A lot of questions, i know:)

Here is a more accurate link to the schematic of a teisco checkmate 20

http://www.preoccupationrecords.com/teisco/ckmt20_sch.gif

I´m sorry, but checkmate 15 schem seems impossible to find...

Mine is a checkmate 15, but it seem they are quite similar. i´m not too good at reading schems 8Have succesfully built 4 tube amps...I´m a silly paint by numbers kinda guy)

BUT, looking at the schematic above: I think it looks as they are two caps wired in series, And the a-terminal MUST be the positive one, as the b-terminal of the last cap is connected to ground!

I´ll try posting a picture of the original wiring of the caps...

IMAG0103.jpg

Well. now I´ve installed the new caps, and I have sound coming through. The output is very low (It was also low before the cap job, actually nothing has changed)

I have serious redplating on the output tubes. The cathode resistor measures 128 ohms, the plate voltage (pin 3-7) reads 250 volts, and the voltage measured across the cathode resistor is 28 volts.
Using the weber bias calculator gets me in the area of 26 watts dissapation per tube.... I bit hot maybe ;)

This is an old amp, from the late 60´s I think, so a lot of things could go wrong. Where do i go next to try to solve my problem....all filter caps in the power supply are replaced with fresh ones... and the cathode resistor is supposed to be 130 ohms, so i guess a 128 ohm reading is ok?

Phew... I Will get started Then. Since i dont have an original schem, I willhave to just look at each single part... But these caps are old and different from what i have seen.
For instance: if a cap says: atlas Oil 0,5uf cp-c 400wv, am I looking for a cap with a 400 v tolerance Then?
Thanks for the reply btw

Have just ordered the fresh set of caps...looking forward :)
Wondering about one specific cap though. Looking at the schem, there is a 0,02 uf cap between the 12ax7 an the 12au7.
This cap has been replaced (Or at least it is different from the others) It is a Jensen cap, manufactured in denmark (Me and the amp are from denmark) No big deal changing this one, but it is huge, and it says on the cap that it has been tested for 5000 v? Maybe this is just what they had lying around, but do you see any reason to find a cap with this extreme voltage rating?

It´s alive :)
First of all, thanks for all the good advice...

Changed every single cap in the amp....and now it´s breathing again.
The cathode voltage is 10v
cathode resistor is 128 ohms
plate voltage (pin 3-7) is 330v
Weber bias calculator gives me: 12 watts per tube / 37 milliamps per tube
Still a bit hot, bút no redplating on the old 7189a powertubes at all. It´s not too loud, and it´s a quite clean sounding amp. I´m not shure if this is beacuse of old powertubes or maybe the small 10 inch speaker isn´t too efficient.

There is an annoying whistling kinda noise.... gets worse when treble, volume or reverb pot is turned up?
Tremolo works and sounds sweet, The reverb is lousy or nonworking? It is there somewhere, far away in the mix.... very faint, but You can hear the springs rattling in there constantly...

I bought some russian powertubes to replace the original 7189a´s. They are called 6P14P-EV. I believe they are good substitutes for 7189a´s. But when I put them in, I get no sound at all, even though the heaters light up?

To sum it up: I´m a happy man, but not finished working on this thing.... Wondering what else is left to do?

Power resistors.... Do they wear out over time?
What about the Two 0,0022 caps in parallel with the diodes on the filter caps (in the picture earlier in the thread)..... could only find ceramics to match the 1000v rating....will they do?

There is an annoying whistling kinda noise.... gets worse when treble, volume or reverb pot is turned up?

Suspect a microphonic tube. Tap on things and see which are sensitive to vibration. May be related to ....

The reverb is lousy or nonworking? It is there somewhere, far away in the mix.... very faint, but You can hear the springs rattling in there constantly...

Check resistance of the transducers. Open it up and look in the pan, a broken spring can pick up noise and kill the pan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.