PSUD 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2012, 08:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PSUD 2

How do you add caps to the design?
Old 6th April 2012, 09:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The default design shows a capacitor filter. You'll notice if you move the mouse pointer near the cap that the cap is highlighted. If you move the pointer a little lower, the whole area of the cap filter is highlighted. Right click on that and a little menu comes up Change, Insert, Delete. Sometimes Insert will give you an illegal warning. In that case chose Delete, then do the same on the load resistor and chose Insert. Select the desired filter from the next menu that pops up.
Old 7th April 2012, 02:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Furthering what loudthud posted above, you can right click on a component to change values, or right click on a stage/block to add or delete stages, such as RC or LC blocks. When you hover your mouse over the schematic, either a component or block will be highlighted, letting you know what your right click will do.
Old 7th April 2012, 03:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, that helped a lot. I have a good design now but could use some clarification on one point. PSUD2 says for a full wave rectifier to use half the unloaded AC voltage. In this case that would be 318.5 volts. The unloaded voltage between the two secondary end taps is 637 volts. When I use 318 volts I get the voltages I want. With 637 its way to high. I think there is something I'm missing here. Should I use only one side of the HT secondary? Or do I end up with that voltage by using both end taps?

Last edited by mr2racer; 7th April 2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 7th April 2012, 01:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, use half the total winding voltage for the full-wave. That's the voltage with respect to the common minus terminal (usually ground). Also for winding resistance, use half the end-to-end total.

Hide this!Advertise here!