• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Magnavox amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
OK I know why am I still here!
Just hanging about so while I'm here...I'm thinking vintage.

Possibly..

Magnavox amp....Paraphase...OK..LOL

So I have never worked on a Magnavox amp.
Why Magnavox I haven't got a clue except some people seem to think their the "best" why..?

Easy question if you were going to build a Magnavox amp and use possibly 6l6 for the O/P tubes which amp would you clone and why?

Can you point me to a circuit diagram?

Regards
M. Gregg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
They're well regarded here in North America, and were generally simple 12AX7A 6BQ5 type SE amps, there were also 6V6 pushpull variants. It's just a very cheap way of getting into tube sound here in the 120V world. (I had one, not bad - I was 16 at the time.)

A better option for you might be something like the RH84 with Edcor or comparable Euro OPTs. (What ever you feel like budgeting)

I keep toying with the idea of designing one that "feels" like a maggie.. :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Well,

I guess thats what this thread is about how to get the "Feel".
Any suggestions or ideas of components and circuits for something like 10-20Watt autobias. Its the modern "Old" magnavox...that's not just a tin of syrup..I hope..LOL

Regards
M. Gregg

Just noticed 6EU7 was used in some amps.

The triodes in a 6EU7 are identical to those in a 12AX7. The key thing about the 6EU7 is the spiral wound, hum bucking, heater that makes AC heating in a phono stage tolerable(?). The 7025 is a 'X7 variant that has the hum bucking heater too. RCA called for the 7025 in their seminal passive EQ phono preamp (schematic attached). Guess why. ;) The current production Sovtek 12AX7LPS is a genuine 7025 equivalent, with the spiral wound heater. The 'LPS is good sounding and modestly priced. :D

Attachments

• Original RCA Phono Preamp Schematic.gif
    Original RCA Phono Preamp Schematic.gif
    55.3 KB · Views: 187
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The triodes in a 6EU7 are identical to those in a 12AX7. The key thing about the 6EU7 is the spiral wound, hum bucking, heater that makes AC heating in a phono stage tolerable(?). The 7025 is a 'X7 variant that has the hum bucking heater too. RCA called for the 7025 in their seminal passive EQ phono preamp (schematic attached). Guess why. ;) The current production Sovtek 12AX7LPS is a genuine 7025 equivalent, with the spiral wound heater. The 'LPS is good sounding and modestly priced. :D

Thanks for the info..

I have a couple of 7025..LOL

I'll take a look.. :)

Regards
M. Gregg

Based on my experience with three Magnavox amps and one Monarch, I'd recommend building from scratch rather than refurbishing an old amp.

1) Lots of old components need to be replaced in vintage amps.

2) The low end transformers from Edcor are as good as or better than the Magnavox and Monarch transformers I've measured.

3) Building new, you are building with known quality components and have the option of using superior parts if you wish.

4) You can purchase your power transformer to match your line voltage.

5) Proper safety concerns can be addressed from the start rather than retrofitting to an old amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.