• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Traveling with DIY Kit in USA-Airport Security Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, folks,

I have question to USA DIY folks - is there any problem with DIY kits (parts, PCBs, plastic boxes) and airport security. Should those kits be stored in baggage (stored in cargo chamber) or in hand bags (taken with passenger)?

My colleague currently visiting USA and I would like to ask him to buy some kits for me, but he afraid there might be some problems with airport security, especially international flights.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion(s).

Depends on the TSA agent you get, some are very competent, some are morons. I had one confiscate my laser pointer as a weapon, and then proceed to shine it into the eyes of his colleagues as a joke.

Exactly, it's completely random. There was a girl a few years ago who got arrested for having PCBs as jewelry. Likewise, there's people who have made simulated bombs and sailed through. Nothing ever happens to the "agents" who screw up, it's a strong union.

Bottom line is that if you are worried about any item always put it into "check in" baggage. Hand baggage must NEVER be used to carry anything out of the ordinary like transformers, tubes, wires etc.
This time when I returned from the US I put a sheet of paper, listing out everything in the suitcase, inside the box and immediately visible as you opened it. TSA opened it ( they left behind their 'calling card(!)' ) but didn't seem to have gone through it rigorously as everything was pretty much in the same place. Previous times things had been moved around !
I had even given a very short explanation for some not very common items. Like for several small packets of yeast I wrote " for making wine!" as an explanation !
For a large packet of 'tannin' ( most wouldn't know what that dark brown powder is !) I wrote 'additive for wine making' ! I also had the original bills placed close to the 'explanation' sheet.These could have been just data sheets for electronics parts !
So they would have info on everything out of the ordinary in the box. I really think it helped. You could try this out.

Cheers.

I've already travelled with tubes and capacitors in the cabin and had no issue. But that were just a few ones, and never with the huge metal mass of transformers...
Bottomline, I would definitely put it in the checked luggage. (capacitors might be refused in the cabin because of the electrolyte)

Hi,

I flew once from Hong Kong to Brussels with a complete 300B SE amplifier in my hand luggage (28 kg!!!). I put the tubes in my backpack and got the body of the amplifier in a small hard case. Checking in this hard case would have costed me more than half of the value of the amplifier, so I took it in the cabin.
I went through the Hong Kong security check without even a question.
Arrival in Amsterdam was another story but they let me in, a bit amused by that strange guy traveling with funny glass bottles.

I am pretty sure that this would not have been possible in the US.
Flying with tubes should not be an big issue.
Having transformers and metal chassis in the hand luggage would be more tricky. I would not take the risk.

I frequently take computer parts and elctronics from US to EU and always check them in. Don't need to take the risk of being held back and miss the flight because an agent didn't like my face or didn't get "any" last night.
Flying with tubes should not be an big issue.
The 911 hijackers used box cutters not biggher than your sharp glass tubes (if you breake the end). And is no telling what gas they are filled with. Sure, is paranoia maybe, but I prefer dealing with a paranoic TSA agent, to being dead because of a lax scan.

Last edited:
Indeed, I did not think about the risk of breaking the glass envelop and use it as a weapon. I won't travel with tubes anymore.

Anyway, the fact that I could travel with a complete tube amplifier in my hand luggage from Hong Kong to Belgium via Amsterdam without getting stopped by any security check tells you long about the care given by some agents...

I am wondering if the Xray can see through the metal chassis of the amplifier?
I guess not. Nobody even asked me to show the inside of the chassis (or even unpack it).

I am wondering if the Xray can see through the metal chassis of the amplifier?

I think the answer to that is yes .
I've seen a large colour baggage Xray scan my baggage after they found three black objects in it. Tubes were hardly recognisable as tubes ( 2x 845 !). There was a Pioneer DVD player also , you could see through. But what made them 'catch' me was the black objects. Apparently the denser it is the darker it is and you can't see through it. They thought it was Gold. ( I claimed nothing to declare ). It was a large roll of solder and two output transformers for my valve amp ! :D

PS. It might not be too worrying because you know what it is but with a dozen officers surrounding you it can be intimidating for a while !

Last edited:
I'm thinking he "best" way is to send the stuff by a separate shipper. We did this on a business trip BEFORE 9/11 because the manager thought the collection of oscilloscopes and other test equipment would look odd to security going into checked baggage. It was all sent to the hotel ahead of time by UPS/FEDEX or whatever.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've done it twice, once with a heavy SS amp, once with a tube amp. Taken as cabin luggage, so basically free.
In both cases I was taken apart by the TSA at security check and they took the equipment out of the little suitcase and proceeded to swab it and x-ray it.
I had the distinct impression they didn't care for the equipment but were making sure there were no drugs or explosives hidden inside.
Anticipating, I had left the case top open so I didn't have to unscrew anything.
It took about 10 minutes each time, and no problems whatsoever.

jan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.