Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2012, 05:04 PM   #21
uptime is offline uptime  United States
diyAudio Member

From a practical perspective, it helps everyone if you put it in and check your luggage. It helps to keep the items easily accessible, and separate the individual items in different containers. That way they don't have to rummage through everything. Do your best not to unnecessarily irritate everyone within the security chain. Also, anymore, the airlines have been reducing their liability for loss. If you are worried about items getting "lost", be sure to declare them or buy additional insurance. Or better yet, just insure and ship it separately. Most airlines will also do counter to counter shipping which is a really nice way to get things shipped quickly without having to deal with the same level of insurance or loss issues.
Old 1st April 2012, 10:44 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

how about a soldering iron?

Click the image to open in full size.

hifi heroin: What you can fly with.

Carrying on a genrad power supply actually got me into the cockpit! talking to the pilot.

hifi heroin: Home again, home again jibbity-jab

dave
Old 1st April 2012, 11:12 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I work doing instrumentation for electron microscopy. I've learned that you can fly with sealed vacuum equipment in a pelican case, demand that TSA use nonpowdered gloves, and that business cards and data sheets can go a long ways. Micro screwdrivers and tweezers, however, are a no go.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:30 AM   #24
parb is offline parb  United States
diyAudio Member

Business cards help quite a bit. It always surprises me how much authorities around the world respect a business card. Never thought about data sheets before -good idea!
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:32 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuksGuru View Post
Hi, folks,

I have question to USA DIY folks - is there any problem with DIY kits (parts, PCBs, plastic boxes) and airport security. Should those kits be stored in baggage (stored in cargo chamber) or in hand bags (taken with passenger)?

My colleague currently visiting USA and I would like to ask him to buy some kits for me, but he afraid there might be some problems with airport security, especially international flights.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion(s).
I had problems with sldering irons, they said I can harm people by them. I had no time to ship them by mail,. so decided to discard. I bought them in Irkutsk, flew to Samara, passed addinional security in Frankfurt, in NY, but in Dallas had to throw in trash.
Old 2nd April 2012, 09:27 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Put a water bottle in with the parts. They'll confiscate the bottle and overlook everything else.
Old 3rd April 2012, 06:54 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Before 911, I frequently carried rather large instrument used to measure differential pressure across an orifice plate, (kinda like using a volt meter across a resistor to measure current) and it was used in gasoline service. It was too delicate to check so I hand carried it. It always had a strong odor of gasoline and it always attracted attention from the screeners. A business card and a brief explanation always won the day. Can you imagine that now!!!

Recently, I had an aircraft cylinder compression tester confiscated (it looks like a refrigeration tester) once I uttered the word compression. No compressed gasses on the aircraft! It made no difference that the gauges were at zero. It made no difference that the hoses were open. It made no difference that one could blow through the hoses. No compression!

More like: No comprehension.
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:21 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I imagine what if to carry some measurement kit with 7-segment LED display, and gren-blue-red wires going fom it, like bombs in movies where heroes guess which wire to cut!
Old 3rd April 2012, 08:38 PM   #29
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

After 9/11 but before the liquid ban, I traveled from Seattle to Copenhagen with two six-packs of microbrew in glass bottles in my carry-on backpack. The screeners showed me the X-ray and asked "what the h*** is that??!" I explained I wanted to give my family a taste of the Northwest microbrews... They let me through.

More recently, I've travelled with an oscilloscope in my checked luggage. It made it through without even a business card from the TSA.

But my mom had a pair of nail clippers confiscated. That was after landing in Seattle, the final destination. There was an additional security checkpoint before leaving the international terminal and it got caught there...

TSA is a joke. Plain and simple. It's a (freak) show of force. But the bottom line is that if you want to travel with something that's a bit out of the ordinary, you're better off with it in your checked luggage.

~Tom
Old 4th April 2012, 11:21 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
By far the worst security I've had was in China, they x-ray even checked baggage and make you open it if they see anything. I had several boxes of bulk packaged watercolors (very cheap in China) you can imagine how that looked on an x-ray.

Nice thing about China is that they are usually very polite about it. I cringe almost everytime when I return home to the USA and have to listen to the TSA agent yelling!

When it comes to equipment in the bag. I it is packaged so that it can be thrown dropped etc, check it in. Otherwise I think it is worth the hassle of security to carry it on.

Hide this!Advertise here!