Hammond 1650P vs 1650N For EL34 PP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2012, 07:07 AM   #1
MVZIK is offline MVZIK  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Hammond 1650P vs 1650N For EL34 PP

Hi,

I know there are lots of discussions about these trannies but non really answered my question so I write in to seek some help. Will there be an audible difference using the 1650P(6.6k CT) which are less favorable in the EL34PP application comparing to the 1650N(4.3k CT). Also I heard the "P" will give out lesser watts with EL34 comparing to the "N" how much lesser? Thanks.
Old 3rd April 2012, 08:12 AM   #2
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

if you connect your 8ohm speaker to the 16ohm tap, you will get more power as you end up with 3.3k reflected load at primary....
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default 1650P for EL34 PP Amp

Thanks Tony,

someone built the amp for me using the P and I later found out that the N is actually more cut out for EL34. However I think the P are more for KT66 and 6L6which I will try out later. Now am using Sovtek 6550E. Generally I don't really find anything bad so far just wonder what the sonic difference would be if I were to have the 1650N. Apart from power output what other negative effect will there be because of this "mismatch"? Tks.

Last edited by MVZIK; 3rd April 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

or kt88/6550 using the 16ohm tap....
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

are these hammonds easy to get in singapore?
Old 3rd April 2012, 01:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, there's a shop carrying it. Do I need to change anything in the circuit if I were to change to 16 ohm tab? Side tracking alittle I just finished building my B1 buffer preamp followed everything on the PCB and the schematics powered it up and the LED was on for a few secs and then when off. I'm using a 19v 880mA wall. 2 parts I'm not entirely sure are the D1 diode, I'm using 1N4004 which is printed on the PCB that opposed to the 914, secondly is the value of the LED, is 12v ok?
Old 3rd April 2012, 02:04 PM   #7
roline is offline roline  United States
diyAudio Member

I've tried for the 6L6 family; 6P3S, 6P3S-E 5881, EL34, Svet 6550=C= , KT88
Sweep tubes; 6JN6, 6JM6, 6CV5, 6LB6 and 6LF6 tubes all with the 1650 P iron.
For my ears, speakers ACI Orions ~3ohm connected to 4ohm, and listening room, triode mode sounds the best.....
A little less power, but more class "A" headroom. More than enough power for the speakers and listening room. 40 or the 60 watt sound about the same. I'm currently working on a ST70 like clone with old Hammond 6.6k 40watt iron, 6P3S-E 5881 output tubes. The bass in Annie's "Bare" CD is a worthy experience.
The 1650P appear to be great iron being able to be driven from most output tubes. If you are after more power don't forget the the 1650R 100 watt 5K version...... almost the same price...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keg-ear21b.jpg (560.1 KB, 218 views)
Old 3rd April 2012, 03:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Tks Roline nice tubes indeed. Have you tried KT66? I think they will sound great with the P. Why did you opt for P rather than N for you design?
Old 3rd April 2012, 09:48 PM   #9
roline is offline roline  United States
diyAudio Member

When I started to design tube amps I found an interesting graph of class A vs AB output power. I wanted a compromise with a larger class A operating zone without giving up too much power. I wanted a universal transformer that I could drive with an assortment of output tubes. My concern was the output impedance. The higher the Ra, the larger the iron impedance needs to be. Thus a decision was made on 6.6k.
I design 2 different platforms, sweep tubes and the 6L6 family.
Both are PCB based, just because I find it easier and it works great! I goal was to design amps that others could make by the toner transfer method.
A pic of the little Russian 6P3S 6L6 tube at 360 VB+ with a little blue glow..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keg4.jpg (812.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg comp-4b.jpg (386.1 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg keg-ear5.jpg (543.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg classa.jpg (41.7 KB, 168 views)
Old 4th April 2012, 02:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Roline,

Have you used the 16 ohm tab to connect to an 8 ohm speakers? What's the pros and cons doing that? Do you need to change your circuit if you change the tabs? tks.

Hide this!Advertise here!