• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What kind: UL, pentode, triode, +B, gain, input and output impedances, tone control(s)?

How about this one? Would you say that it could be something worth building?

20-21.gif

Cheers

How about this one? Would you say that it could be something worth building?

Cheers

I don't think so, with a paraphase, AKA seesaw, phase splitter and a "funky" bias supply.

What's the budget? Poindexter's "Musical Machine" and the "El Cheapo" project I've been involved with both employ differential splitters and solid PSUs. If you plan to use O/P "iron" that's not particularly costly, "El Cheapo", with its NFB loop will (IMO) serve you better.

Oh yeah, the 'AQ5 shown in the "El Cheapo" schematic is, for all practical purposes, a 6V6 in a 7 pin mini bottle. ;)

Attachments

• EC big.gif
    EC big.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 573
Paraphase? What paraphase?

Sorry, I was fooled by the 270 KOhm part. :xeye: It is differential, if slightly "weird". A voltage divider is setting grid bias for both 'T7 sections. Still the tail is way too short for identical 100 KOhm load resistors to be used.

My highly negative opinion remains intact, as that circuit uses full pentode mode "finals" and no NFB. The damping factor will be VERY poor. :(

What about something like this?
This originally came out of an old Sears Silvertone console set.
(Original schematic)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is the schematic after I did some of the first mods. (added cathode bypass cap on the outputs,and used some larger coupling caps,etc.)
One of my most recent mods was swapping the first 60uf/40uf sections around in the PSU,to be a bit kinder to the rectifier. (Yes,it had 60uf on the rect. cathode,stock.)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For a small amp,with small 'run-of-the-mill' output transformers,it sounds great and has good (mid)bass response. Some nicer (Edcor?) iron might put this into the 'major leagues',IMO.
I get about 8Wpc before any visible distortion on the 'scope.
I use JAN (Phillips) 6V6's and Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes.
I used a (RCA,or GE) 5U4GB for the rectifier for a long time,and just recently tried a Svetlana 5UC3/5S3P (?) and like it even better than the 5U4GB!

My favorite PP small power amp is the Pilot SA-232. It uses EL84/6BQ5 but can be easily adapted to use 6V6. I have used its circuit to apply to other amps, mods, and rebuilds, etc... The circuit might look old fashion to some but the sweet sound never fails impress.

Full schematic with both channels and power supply:

Only one channel shown:

What about something like this?
This originally came out of an old Sears Silvertone console set.

The voltage amplifier/DC coupled "concertina" splitter small signal topology is a good choice. The modifications to the OEM setup make sense. The Sovtek 12AX7LPS happens to be a genuine 7025 equivalent. ;) Poindexter likes "reissue" TungSol 6V6s made at Saratov, Russia. He prefers them to NOS.

The inexpensive, but very effective, Greinacher doubler B+ PSU from "El Cheapo" would work WELL with this setup.

Lower CMiller at the amp's I/P, along with higher small signal gm, would be (IMO) an improvement. Reducing CMiller reduces the risk of HF info. loss. High gm in circuits with GNFB loops provides resistance to HF error correction signal induced slew limiting. A 6GK5 as the voltage amplifier and an ECC99 section as the "concertina" splitter would achieve those goals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.