6SN7 SRPP - oscillating dc offset - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2012, 08:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6SN7 SRPP - oscillating dc offset

Just finished a build of this circuit/pcb:

6SN7 SRPP Preamplifier PCB (Stereo) - Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit

at the output there is between, say, -50mV and +50mV of dc present at any given time. what could be causing this?
Old 27th March 2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Doz is offline Doz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There shouldn't be , there's no DC path. Check C12 isn't leaky. If you're measuring this with a DVM, it could be misleading you.
Old 27th March 2012, 09:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, appears very strange. C12 seems fine. Why would the dmm be playing tricks?
Old 27th March 2012, 10:12 AM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You may be seeing supply rail variations due to your mains voltage varying. Your PSU is a low pass filter. The output cap and ground resistor is a high pass filter. In the subsonic overlap region where neither is attenuating too much you can get mains variations coming through.

This assumes that what you are seeing on your DMM is a varying 'DC' voltage, not a constant DC which happens to be different from time to time.
Old 27th March 2012, 11:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

OK excellent, thanks for the info

This may, or may not be, related, but there is a background humming sound which is present when the pot is at minimum, then disappears as the pot gets to 9 o'clock, then comes back and gets louder as the pot is turned up. The humming also disappears when I have my fingers on the pot itself - is this some kind of field interference or grounding issue?
Old 27th March 2012, 11:41 AM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

That sounds like it could be RF oscillation. Does the DC current drawn by the circuit vary with pot position?

Alternatively, you may have two sources of hum which happen to cancel when the pot is in mid position.
Old 27th March 2012, 01:03 PM   #7
avp1 is offline avp1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordearl View Post
OK excellent, thanks for the info

This may, or may not be, related, but there is a background humming sound which is present when the pot is at minimum, then disappears as the pot gets to 9 o'clock, then comes back and gets louder as the pot is turned up. The humming also disappears when I have my fingers on the pot itself - is this some kind of field interference or grounding issue?
Get yourself an oscilloscope. Rigol 1052E DSO is below $400, old analog Tektronix'es are in that range too. You can't effectively diagnose circuit problems without it.
Old 27th March 2012, 03:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

"is this some kind of field interference or grounding issue?"

Make sure that neither RCA plug is grounded to the chassis where it is mounted. They should be grounded to signal ground and signal ground connected to the chassis where power supply ground is connected to the chassis.
Old 27th March 2012, 04:30 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

DF96 is spot on about the variations in mains voltage causing this apparent wondering DC bipolar offset, you can also look at it as ridiculously low frequency AC.

Should be only one connection point between the electronics and the chassis. RCA jacks should be isolated and run back to this point as pointed out in another post.

A 1K grid stopper right at the input grid of the 6SN7 should help with RF susceptibility and a tendency to oscillate.

A scope is highly recommended - it will make diagnosing these sorts of issues much easier.
Old 27th March 2012, 06:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have not connected the signal ground to the chassis ground - will do this and see if any improvement is made.

Re the 1k grid stopper - I assume we are talking about R2/R10? I've used 250R (closest to the circuit specified 220R which I had to hand). Will try increasing this to 1k.

Hide this!Advertise here!