• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Video lectures on tube amplifier design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One thing to keep in mind is this is not a general audience. Not sure it needs to be whiz bang pow kind of thing.

There is a video floating around of a guy making a triode by hand. Deathly dull by any objective video standards. Watched the whole thing through and thought "wow!"

I really want to see some experts here on the forum just sharing some real knowledge. I for one would rather watch someone simply building up an amp than a drift car as triode analogy.

MrKramer

To tell the truth, I'd like to see Morgan Jones's lectures recorded- he is a compelling speaker, a great explainer, and has a very nice BBC voice. I vividly recall searching shop after shop with him in the back woods of Germany trying to find a small transformer and a large hammer for a demonstration in one of his talks at ETF.

It was only 30 seconds of his talk, but it was a point that we'll all remember. Think Gallagher. :D

One thing to keep in mind is this is not a general audience. Not sure it needs to be whiz bang pow kind of thing.

MrKramer

You make it a general audience, by filming it creatively, that's the whole point. Keeping it dull and lifeless will ensure that no one either watches it or remembers it, which means we will have failed on both counts.

I followed a couple of those links above, and basically it made me want to die rather than watch it to the end after just a few seconds...

You will need the patience of a saint and the constitution of an ox to watch more than 30 seconds of that stuff...
:-D

For the record I am not affiliated with either group. I will point out that although you may have found it dull enough to "want to die" it has proven to be a highly successful format. 3000 lectures watched 130 million times.

Personally, I would love to see that Morgan Jones talk. Or Nelson pass. Or a presentation from Burning amp. Or a Tube Lab video where he rebuilds that marshal amp. (shirt on or off. Just give warning so the faint of heart can avert their eyes!)

I just don't want a music video. I want a classroom. I love this hobby and I want to watch other people who love it share some knowledge.

The OP asked if there were any vids to learn things like load lines, designing amp stages etc. It is a great question and a great idea. Lots of us learn better visually. It would be fantastic if there were some simple videos that helped share the knowledge.

MrKramer

-Perhaps you are trying (commercially?) to expose DIY audio to the general public. If so, good on you. I mean it.

I don't have a TV commission, so I am making my documentary out of my own pocket with my own crew. The thing is, to watch that stuff that I call "dull as ditch water" people watch it simply because they want to know, it will never be memorable and I would imagine the drop out rate high (those viewers who simply couldn't stomach it to the end). I want to make a programme that is compelling to watch and learn from and not just for those who already love the subject matter. That's the key difference between this dull stuff and proper television that is captivating. This is how Professor Brian Cox teaches physics to the masses on UK TV, Brian Cox's guide to quantum mechanics - YouTube You have to keep it interesting and some boring droning voice babbling on will not convert anyone to the love we share of these devices, it will only serve as a mild interest to those who already have the love for tubes. If you want to extend your knowledge in this field to the next generation and not let it die with our generation, you have to recruit the minds of those who have neither love nor have knowledge of these devices and are waiting to be converted. Its like preaching a religion, you never increased your congregation by preaching to the choir, you have to interest the man in the street. The tube amp I built 20 years ago, is sat in one of our edit suites and my young editors (all under the age of 24) fight to use the edit suite with the tube amp driving the audio monitors, and they got the love of these devices by me preaching to them, story boarding and DOP'ing the proposed documentary about it with them. This prompted me to bring out of retirement by amplifier and show it to them. Bearing in mind these are technically educated people, one said "whoa whats that? It looks like a time machine" followed by "ouch its really hot..."

Boring 1970's open university bbc tv lecture stuff will not help.

I have only seen links posted by others here, which as a professional director, producer, cameraman and editor I believe will only put newbies to our "religion" off and personally make me cringe...

You need to recruit the minds of those who are ignorant to the marvelous stuff that goes on here. It took me years to find DIYaudio, and now I tell others about it all the time... When I built my amp 20years ago there was no internet... but I had the advantage of learning tube design at university.... I want everyone to know, so the knowledge continues...

That's what we all want... don't ruin it with video lectures that would bore the spots off a leopard at 50 paces.

I have Prof Chris Kirk from the University of Bath (uk) and Dr. David Swift from the University of Leeds (UK) as my primary presenters and they have made my opening sequences very informative and quite thrilling and gripping, I can't release it yet because its not in a complete form for anyone to see, but hopefull I can make the first few minutes as a teaser to share my ideas with you all. I want as much input from people here as possible. The passion and expertise here is unsurpassed....

As an example, I was asked to make a video about the motorsport of drifting that was relatively unknown in the UK, we were commissioned to film a couple of events last year and make two tv programmes about it. So I came up with this, to teach people about it and show the sport... this is a pilot edit, but essentially went out on TV (with the captions spell corrected of course)...

This captured the interest of my local Town council and police force who now want to run an event here in my town. Keep in mind these people where mostly of pensionable age who instantly loved it... this is what I gave them... the female presenter we used had never done motorsport before in her life...

Togethia - The JDM Drift Allstars - Round 3 - Malta - YouTube

We then issued this as a teaser before Malta...

Drift Allstars 2011 Round 2 Sunderland - Interview with Walton Smith - YouTube

As I said before, the sport was unknown in the UK, but already established in the US and Japan.... it got viewing figures of over 20million on the first showing on UK/Europe TV... not bad for an unknown sport...

I want to do the same again in a documentary/educational programme about tubes...
and we have already started....

Togethia - The JDM Drift Allstars - Round 3 - Malta - YouTube

Loved that "Bottle of Magic"!
Great stuff. I really liked that sequence where the guy tells his secretary to shut the doors and windows so he can hear the long distance call.

Look, I don't want to dissuade anybody that is making something compelling. Especially if it helps further this hobby. If you are going to make some videos in this manner I really am happy to hear it.

However I would also love to see some real knowledgable lectures by some of our resident audio fanatics. I hope they understand that many of us are less concerned by the production values they show than the understanding they have to share.

MrKramer

One thing to keep in mind is this is not a general audience. Not sure it needs to be whiz bang pow kind of thing

In my opinion the purpose for videos about "tube amplifier design" is to provide an alternative mechanism for learning how to build and design a tube amp. No history lessons or documetaries are planned. I am not sure that this subject matter will ever be for a general audience. We can make a few "bait" videos to attract the curious, but nobody that isn't interested in the subject matter will watch more than a few.

You make it a general audience, by filming it creatively, that's the whole point. Keeping it dull and lifeless will ensure that no one either watches it or remembers it, which means we will have failed on both counts

I watched your drifting videos because I like horsepower, fast cars, and most of all, tire smoke! Would I watch a video of a chess game, tennis, or golf for more than 28 nanoseconds even with a hot female host.....NOPE. You might find a video that has a catchy opening, and maybe watch it, but nobody will watch moer than one unless they are interested in the subject matter.

Think about it, how is someone going to find these videos? They will be found by links from my web site, this and other tube related forums, and if the videos are broad enough we might be found via guitar amp, ham radio and vintage radio sites. Some will find us by searching YouTube, but there is so much content on YouTube, a targeted search doesn't work well any more.

"Dull and lifeless" should be avoided, but the primary function should be to convey the message as distinctly as possible. If this is done and the viewer learns something, and then watches another, we haven't failed.

you have to recruit the minds of those who have neither love nor have knowledge of these devices and are waiting to be converted. Its like preaching a religion, you never increased your congregation by preaching to the choir, you have to interest the man in the street.......bring out of retirement by amplifier and show it to them. Bearing in mind these are technically educated people

I work in a large electronics plant. Before the layoffs started there were about 1000 engineers and a larger number of other technically educated people. I often demonstrated and loaned out my tube amplifiers. I sold a few that way, but there was a very obvious age bias amongst those with any interest in tube amps. The iPOD generation could not, or would not hear anything useful in a tube amp. Those people are not going to be converted by a technical video. The only tubeheads under 30 years old that I could find are the ones who play electric guitar. They are your "man in the street". Granted there are a few younger HiFi tubeheads, some here on this forum. I don't know what "converted" them, but I doubt a few instructional videos would do it.

If you believe a few well produced documentaries will help, and have the meand to do them, then by all means go for it, but I can't or won't go there, it isn't me.

a small transformer and a large hammer for a demonstration......It was only 30 seconds of his talk, but it was a point that we'll all remember. Think Gallagher.

Gallagher has retired since his recent heart attack. I went to one of his shows maybe 20 years ago. We were in the impact zone near the front center of the audience, fully prepared with thick plastic sheets. While the man was nailling watermellons with the sledge-o-matic, keeping us occupied, his henchmen snuck up behind us with Jello cannons. Blindsided, and covered in slimey red and green stuff.

I have a sledgehammer, but here we have access to a powerhammer. I have the technology to make components vanish....in a bang. Since vacuum tubes operate at lethal voltages, any educational series on tubes must cover safety. This means fully demonstrating what can happen if you dont follow the rules.....from the other side of a thick piece of Lexan of course.

However I would also love to see some real knowledgable lectures by some of our resident audio fanatics. I hope they understand that many of us are less concerned by the production values they show than the understanding they have to share.

That's what I have in mind. I work late most every night, no spare time, near zero budget for this stuff, one old still camera that does video, zero TV production experience with no desire or ability to create flashy stuff. I have been an engineer at Motorola for 39 years, and I am not even good with Powerpoint. That place RUNS on Powerpoint, but I have survived on the ability to say what I am going to do and do what I say, which is building working radio prototypes. My "slides" to upper management are usually circuit boards, or complete two way radios.

I think there will eventually be videos detailing the build up of all of the Tubelab amplifiers. Definitely BORING....unless you want to build one. Then it's priceless.

I got that point. Maybe its just me but I have a hard time listening to a person narrating somthing without other visual cues.

While getting my masters degree in electrical engineering, several of the classes were held in auditoriums and captured on video, live. These classes were sent out via microwave relay links to the other school campuses and to some of the major electronics plants in South Florida including the one where I worked. I found that I could not focus my attention on a guy speaking into a TV camera for an entire lecture, but I had no problem attending the same lecture in a live classroom. So I left work twice a week, drove 40 miles, and sat in the classroom. I did however build a receiver to capture and videotape some of the hard math classes so I could review stuff over and over multiple times until it soaked through my blonde head.

During the same time I took a video systems engineering class and found some of the material incorrect or extremely dated. The discussion was about how TV stations sent data to the end user's equipment hidden inside an ordinary NTSC video transmission (this was before digital TV). I had an argument with the teacher and wound up doing two lectures for that class. I produced them in the same lab where I melt tubes today using a VHS based videotape recorder. I may still have a copy. My voice is heard, but I am never seen and the lectures were used for each class for several years after I had graduated. Some students asked about having me for a teacher. I did discuss doing a class on vacuum tube technology during negotiations for a possible PHD, but the faculty just laughed. I plan to start with the same approach, since I have done this before.....about 15 years ago. If it doesn't work, or can be improved, I can always change things.

Tubelab has existed for 7 years. It has lost money for 6 of those years. An analysis of expenses has shown that the single biggest expense that can be eliminated is warehouse rent, $2500/year. Sherri has been in favor of closing down Tubelab for a while now since it loses money and takes up a lot of my time. We agreed that If I could eliminate the warehouse expense in time to show a profit for 2012 that Tubelab would continue. This means that 2400 cubic feet of "stuff" has to go, including tubes, lots of tubes. At one time I had over 100,000 tubes. Now there are somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000. At first I sold off or gave away all the tubes that I realized that I would never use in my lifetime. Then I decided that the tubes that sold for $4 or less should be sold since I could buy new ones later for less than it cost me to keep these. Those are mostly gone, sold at local hamfests.

I have several boxes, each with large quantities of a given tube in used condition. I plan to rig up a test fixture to evaluate those tubes for condition, and usefulness in audio applications. I also need to evaluate some test equipment. Maybe I can video some of these experiments as trial runs.

There are about 20 833A tubes which are about the same size as the big tube in the Russian video. Do you want to see me sit it on the table and talk about it with one, or a dozen PC motherbaords in view? I can do that, but wouldn't you rather see the tube connected up, glowing red or yellow and watching the plate glow change as I turn the knobs on the equipment, pointing the camera at the individual meters or the scope screen while explaining what I am doing? Some of it will be pretty advanced material, but maybe useful?

How about ripping apart a dead vintage Park (Marshall) guitar amp, fixing it, and putting it back together again? A vintage Gibson? Maybe even just ripping apart some vintage test equipment to salvage the tubes and transformers?

I am sure my ugly face will be seen enough, especially when guitar amps are involved, but I don't see being in every video if it is not necessary or advantageous.

OK, several possible starting points have been proposed, any comments?

If you are going to do a video on the 833A you might need to do a little bit lecture and building. I think a lot of people would like to see not only the final build but the work and thought process that goes into each step of designing and building an amp. Don't just stand there though, have a white board and draw stuff out. It could be cool and educational.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
tubelab.com

I actually sold my ipod to pay for some of tthe most expensive building blocks in my current build so I am young but committed.

I can tell you for a fact that watching these "lectures" will happen under these conditions:

1. Not much time (life is always keeping people busy)
2. very different levels of experience
3. very hands on approach for the most part as opposed to a theoretical approach
4. different countries of origin (and therefore different languages)

It just seems fair that these lectures are done to keep everyone on diyaudio.com "onboard" that is to say avoiding the lectures to become some sort of videomail between the most experienced amongst the audience.

I can tell you for a a fact that watching a guy probing a dead amp for 40 minutes I can do but it will require a strong will. I want to see probing but also a reminder of the amp's schematic,some clear, effective explanation of what we are trying to repair as opposed to simply guiding through a tutorial on how to replace a cap or any other component.

You need not do all the work by yourself. I am sure there are people here who would gladly pitch in and take the unedited material and create the final product.

Down to basics you could just get yourself a white board and some markers to give visual aid. Nothing more and you need not be filmed in the process.

Actually, I was thinking much more along the lines of Doc's lab in Back to the Future. With you in goggles and a lab coat.

That's about what my lab looks like now....and I was going to build Marty's guitar amp...until reality kicked in. I don't even use my 845 amp because it heats up the room too much. The 833A has a 100 watt filament!

If you are going to do a video on the 833A you might need to do a little bit lecture and building. I think a lot of people would like to see not only the final build but the work and thought process that goes into each step of designing and building an amp. Don't just stand there though, have a white board and draw stuff out. It could be cool and educational.

Marty's guitar amp was to be 833A powered. The initial design was here...no video at the time:

The 833A SE Amp Prototype

I gave away the 1500 volt 1/2 amp power supply that I used in that experiment. Otherwise I still have all the stuff to recreate it. I have decided to abandon all future mega-voltage projects, thus the 833A's and related stuff will be sold. I will not build a complete amp based on the 833A, but I do need to seperate the bad tubes from the good tubes.

Don't just stand there though, have a white board and draw stuff out.....Down to basics you could just get yourself a white board and some markers to give visual aid.

I planned to use a whiteboard, but I would like to find a modern digital equivalent that's easy to use. The lecturers in the video classrooms at FAU where I got my masters degree had a device that you drew on with a stylus and the image appeared on the video screen. A single button erased the entire screen, and the back end of the stylus erased a small spot where you touched it to the slate. This was 15 years ago and I haven't seen anything like it since.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
I would like a "problem - solution" video category.

Things like:

"oscillation" - how to eliminate it

"motorboating" - no, your amp is not off to the seaside, here is how to deal with it

"high voltage precuations, insulation and clearance"

"snubbers and rectifiers"

"HV power supplies"

Etc etc :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.