• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Magnavox 8608-10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To use a full sized digital player, with it's better sound, construct a passive control box around a ganged, stereo, 10 KOhm log. taper volume potentiometer. Mouser part # 313-2420F-10K is dirt cheap and pretty good sounding. DigiKey part # KKA1031S28-ND is not especially costly and sounds VERY good. Use short, "captive", low capacitance, cabling between the volume control box and the power amp. Low capacitance means unshielded and braided.

Any chance I could get a hand-drawn schematic on how to do this? Not exactly clear on how this would hook into the 8802.

Any chance I could get a hand-drawn schematic on how to do this? Not exactly clear on how this would hook into the 8802.

LD,

CD gave you an excellent link. Before I get into "hen scratches" or narratives, answer a question for me. Do you plan on using the passive control center with more than 1 line level source? If only a CDP is to be used, both the I/P and the O/P cables can be "captive". Doing so saves money and reduces the number of purely mechanical connections in the signal path. Both of the above are good things.

In post #73 you have posted a photo. In that photo you have what I think is a lamp next to your RCAs. That is not a particularly good location for an AC lamp (if that is indeed what it is) and an excellent location for a volume pot. I suggest you remove that lamp and install a 10K (as Eli suggests) dual audio (log) pot. Wire it into the RCA jacks as discussed in that narrative. That will solve your level control problem and perhaps reduce hum.

And Eli is right about the nomenclature too; a better name for a "volume-pot-in-a-box" needs to be coined. "Passive pre" IS an oxymoron but I find control center equally dubious. It is a control, but I must point out that it's far from the center of things:)

LD,

Before you go out and buy anything, look around for room (preferably close to the I/P jacks) in the amp's chassis for the control. Only if space is truly lacking will you purchase an aluminum "Bud Box".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CD,

If source selection was part of the project, passive control center would be correct. If LD can't find room inside the amp's chassis, he will wind up building an external passive volume control.

El cheapo

Hi. I received as a gift power and output transformers of Scott's 380 receiver.
Can this set be used for el cheapo build with 6V6 tubes, if not, what tubes do you recommend? I want to use russian 6p6s in triode mode class A. Primary of the OPT is 6k. They are TRA-8-5-3.

I added wood trim today, stained it, & moved the LED as suggested. I will add the ganged pot at some point for volume--but think I'll enjoy this amp awhile. My Klipsch Chorus II's are sounding damn good. Thanks to all that helped.
d9b0d056.jpg

My power LED quit working all of the sudden, and I noticed something strange. Looking at the 6V6 tubes left to right....I first had the + LED lead hooked to pin 5 on the far right 6V6. I noticed the glow up top was more than the others. I moved the + LED lead back to where I first had it (before moving the LED away from the inputs) which was pin 5 on the 2nd 6V6 from the left. Now that tube's glow is more than the other tubes. Obviously this is not a good 6V source? I noticed other 6V6's getting LED power from there. Is there a better way?

I wasn't really happy with the wood & stain....and I wanted the chassis itself to shine a bit more- so......
I taped it all off & removed all the tubes, primed it with a self-etching primer, shot some high shine aluminum paint on it, and redid the wood trim. Mahogany stained Pine with better tapered corners. Coming together much better now.
photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

8802 Finished

Well, the "Orange Drops" are in (0.01 & 0.1) and bass is improved. The amp is completed. Nice aluminum paint that shines, a re-done Mahogany stained Pine looks much better.....but above all - it sounds AWESOME! Thanks again to so many people for their insight and knowledge base - and their willingness to help those who don't know. Cheers to you all.....
IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.