My first DIY schematic... need eagle eyes.! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2012, 09:52 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Greetings from FixitLand!

Re the EF80 (AKA 6BX6)...looks rather like a 6AU6 on a B9A base. Thanks for the info; I'd been thinking of trying a pair of 6AU6s out as a flea-power amp just for laughs, and this makes it seem more likely to actually work.

Take care,
--
J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"
Old 30th March 2012, 09:54 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried ECC99 as a power triode? http://www.jj-electronic.sk/pdf/ECC99.pdf

looks like it'd be good in something like this.
Old 30th March 2012, 01:15 PM   #23
MelB is offline MelB  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dude, with a 290AX you are going to end up with well over 400 volts on that 12au7.

That puts you right "off the chart" The curves I can find only go to 375v.

I'd start with -30 volts as a bias. You'd want 6K PER cathode. I'd go with separate cathode resistors as well. You will be totally maxing these tubes out. Start with a high cathode resistance and work your way down. That would be my approach.

Also this will require a lot of dicking around. Put a bleeder resistor on there for starters so you don't kill yourself.
Old 30th March 2012, 01:33 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Try a 12BH7 instead of the 12AU7.
Old 30th March 2012, 11:48 PM   #25
shonen is offline shonen  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey dude... thanks, I am planning to step it down to around 300V somehow. Method not yet decided. The 125A OT arrived and it is teeeeeny!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st March 2012, 03:32 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

If you use a choke for filtering start off with it before the first cap. Lower voltage and better regulation ... if you think that's a good thing. Try running both Pi and choke input filters with that tranny in the Duncan supply modeler.
Old 31st March 2012, 11:46 PM   #27
shonen is offline shonen  United States
diyAudio Member

That's what I was wondering. An isolated choke vs taking power off the preamp rail after the first cap / resistor... thanks. gonna try to get a model working so I can kill myself virtually..

btw, ever use SPICE? i'm on linux primarily and have gEDA installed. have a feeling this will kill an entire day to get working as a tube amp simulator.

Last edited by shonen; 31st March 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 1st April 2012, 02:47 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

If you don't have a choke in there already a resistor before the cap will do the job. It will be a lot smaller than a dropping resistor - even 100R will probably be enough.

Hide this!Advertise here!