• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

given choice of low screen voltage or low bias which sounds better or is it equal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i would like to know some opinions given the choice of low(ering) g2 voltage, or supplying a more negative g1 bias, which one is better for sound, or are they pretty much equivalent solutions

guess in less words, adjust gain or adjust driving voltage? from the over simplified statement im thinking that answer might be the gain as it would drop down the noise floor. Guess im a bit partial to this solution, as it has an additional benefit of potentially permitting me to reduce component count as my driver and output screens could be directly driven by the same supply?

gu-50, was thinking of 100~150v

heres all my collected data on them
Index of /data/Datasheets/gu-50

the other affected tube is 6cb6's, but there designed for less then 150v anyways
http://ryujiwarui.com/data/Datasheets/6cb6.pdf

oh and i only need about 40 mA bias from them

my friend tried the pair i mailed him with very low g1 dc voltage (iirc, about -60v) and said they sounded better then what i am presently using for tubes, so im trying them out =)

oh and if it isnt already evident, this is SE operation

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.