• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Assistance needed in reconstructing a Golden Tube Audio SE-40

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I recently purchased a set of Iron from a GTA SE-40 and am wanting to point to point reconstruct it. There is a schematic over at the Yahoo Group for GTA but ot is chock full of errors. The real schematic has been elusive to say the least.

Does anyone here have much familiarity with this amp? Anyone with a good schematic by chance?

Worst case senario i could post the faulty schematic here and maybe some of you guys with advanced knowledge could help me work out the errors.

Thanks!
Jeff

Yes, the above is the schematic that has several errors on it.
Since i started this thread i was able to locate an individual (who desires to remain anonymous) who knows this amp well enough to draw the entire schematic from memory. He has given me the corrections to the above schematic and the full power supply schematic.

Soon i will have a redrawn proper schematic for the stock amp as it was from the factory. This will not be the schematic i build from however, the schematic i build from must remain unpublished at the designers request. I can say it is the same basic schematic with corrections that should have been implemented from the factory. I will post eventually the accurate factory, un-modified schematic when i get it drawn.

As many know this was a great sounding amp that was plagued be reliability issues. There is a host of information at the Yahoo GTA group on making several mods to fix and upgrade the original design.

I really appreciate the remarks so far...if anyone has any other suggestions i am still interested in what everyone has to say.

Thanks,
Jeff

I have my friend's unit at home and thinking about tinkering with it, with his permission. Judging by the schematic, I do not like the screengrid at such high voltage--typical UL problem--that can shorten tube life and the sound is tense and not relaxed enough. Just not a fan of running tubes at such high voltage, 495vdc, just to get power. My friend and I both use high efficient speakers so power is not an issue. After extensive listening I can't say I like the sound, bland and bleached out with no tone. The kind of sound some audiophiles called "neutral" but I say boring. It does have potential. I look forward to seeing your mods.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.