• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

interesting power tube comparison chart

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been experimenting with different brand tubes and have found that some brands have a min bias end range that is hotter than others. Some tube resellers use a numbering system to denote this others a color code. In GT case, their #1 rating would be able to bias lower than than #10 rating. Some circuits can handle hotter biasing tubes , others need cooler biasing tubes. Bascially, I have found that you can't get a hot biasing tube to work in a circuit that needs a cooler tube. But you can use cool tubes in hotter circuits. I like this chart because it provides some example bias voltages which in some cases vary quite a bit between say an A, B, or C tube. In real world, a 6550A has a lower bias starting point than say a 6550 WE.

Attachments

• GTchart.jpg
    GTchart.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 254
Groove Tubes tests and sorts tubes for guitar amp use. They used to state that the number related to the distortion characteristics of their tubes. A #1 tube would distort at say half throttle, while a #10 tube would go to 3/4 throttle before distorting in the same amp. This was about 10 years ago (maybe more). It looks like they have gotten a bit more scientific about it now. You want to stay near the #10 end of the range for a HiFi amp, but I was making guitar amps then, so some amps got #2's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.